Discuss New circuit in plastic consumer unit. Yes or no? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

swaRRR

Esteemed
Reaction score
I work with someone who really isn't happy installing new circuits into plastic consumer units.

Sometimes he refuses to do it if the board in question isn't in a great state or if the existing wiring is spaghetti junction.

Obviously the regs state that it's fine to add if the board conforms to the regs at time of installation, but he argues that they're not law they're guidelines and that if he's not happy doing it then he doesn't have to and has every right to refuse.

My take is, if site told me to install a cable without RCD protection and said it was fine because the cable was >50mm in a wall, i still wouldn't do it even though allowed in regs. A similar although not identical scenario.

What do you all think?

If your workmate is worried about adding a circuit to a plastic CU cause of the fire regs then they could always add one of these.
Just looked. Good idea.

Nice how the fourth picture in the step by step fitting instructions doesnt show the fixing screws sticking through the lid.

Back to the thread.
So what does your mate do? Walk away from the job unless customer agrees to a whole new board? That’s some upsell….. or fit a garage board next to the plastic one just for one new circuit?
With SPD of course

Obviously the regs state that it's fine to add if the board conforms to the regs at time of installation, but he argues that they're not law they're guidelines and that if he's not happy doing it then he doesn't have to and has every right to refuse.
if they are self employed, then that’s fine they can turn down as much work as they like.
if they were working for me and were often refusing to carry out the work list because of there own invented rules instead of the applicable regulations, they would need to find a new employer fast.
My take is, if site told me to install a cable without RCD protection and said it was fine because the cable was >50mm in a wall, i still wouldn't do it even though allowed in regs. A similar although not identical scenario.

What do you all think?
Why people decide that they know better and will invent there own restrictions instead of following the regulations always amazes me.

I prefer to work with people who have a “how can we do this” attitude
so many people seem to spend a lot of time researching or inventing reasons why they can’t do what is a reasonable request.

if they are self employed, then that’s fine they can turn down as much work as they like.
if they were working for me and were often refusing to carry out the work list because of there own invented rules instead of the applicable regulations, they would need to find a new employer fast.

Why people decide that they know better and will invent there own restrictions instead of following the regulations always amazes me.

I prefer to work with people who have a “how can we do this” attitude
so many people seem to spend a lot of time researching or inventing reasons why they can’t do what is a reasonable request.
I see what you're saying - i personally would be completely fine with putting the MCB into a plastic box.

However i wouldn't put a circuit away without RCD protection just because it was buried 50mm in the wall. Would you consider that reasonable even though it's allowed in the regs?

I see what you're saying - i personally would be completely fine with putting the MCB into a plastic box.

However i wouldn't put a circuit away without RCD protection just because it was buried 50mm in the wall. Would you consider that reasonable even though it's allowed in the regs?
RCD on a circuit isn't just for cables buried less than 50mm... Its All sockets, everything in a bathroom, all luminaires....
There's very little that DOESN'T require RCD nowadays.

Reading the OP again, he is right in saying that the regs are guidelines. There's no reason he cant go over and above what it says.
Fine if he is the boss, but if he works for someone else, hes just causing grief over nothing.

RCD on a circuit isn't just for cables buried less than 50mm... Its All sockets, everything in a bathroom, all luminaires....
There's very little that DOESN'T require RCD nowadays.

Reading the OP again, he is right in saying that the regs are guidelines. There's no reason he cant go over and above what it says.
Fine if he is the boss, but if he works for someone else, hes just causing grief over nothing.
But as i said (not sure if it's current regs or whether it was regs in the 17th) it's pretty common knowledge that you don't need RCD protection if a cable is >50mm in a wall.

I would not install a circuit with no RCD protection on it full stop.

Would that be wrong? I see it as a similar situation to this.

But as i said (not sure if it's current regs or whether it was regs in the 17th) it's pretty common knowledge that you don't need RCD protection if a cable is >50mm in a wall.
It's not really that simple.
There are two distinct area's of regs:
1) when you need to use an rcd
2) how to meet impact protection
This was the case in 17th edition too.

From memory 17th edition required an rcd for all sockets over 20A unless a circuit was dedicated for certain purposes (e.g. freezers), circuits for mobile equipment up to 32A for use outdoors, and special locations. Someone will correct me I'm sure, it's been a while!

For impact protection it was either > 50mm, or in earthed containment/cable, or rcd protected.

18th Edition has added several things to the number 1 list, like domestic lighting, and all sockets including 3 phase up to 32 amps, but the impact protection is basically the same.
Amendment 2 of 18th has removed some loopholes (risk assessments have more clearly defined standards) which basically means almost everything (domestic) needs one now.

Last edited:
It is rare that I install an rcd on anything,
sockets, yes most have an rcd.
but to suggest that you should rcd everything you install is taking things too far .

Amendment 2 of 18th has removed some loopholes (risk assessments have more clearly defined standards) which basically means almost everything (domestic) needs one now.
Essentially yes, as when you go to do a CU change typically you will have no idea if the cables are < 50mm from surfaces, etc, and lights & sockets & bathroom now need RCD anyway, so it is simpler to just RCD (or preferably) RCBO the lot.

The likes of Fusebox RCBOs and similar are not that expensive, not really compared to a day or so of skilled labour.

But for non-domestic you will often find few RCDs except for the essentials that are mandated (socket outlets, etc) or otherwise a high risk.

TT of course adds a while other dimension...

But back to the OP's question about adding to a plastic CU. To me there is no fundamental reason why that is not acceptable, but if the CU is, or will end up, as a C2 for EICR then it would be a no. For example, you can't get a compatible RCBO/RCD, or the enclosure is damaged or thermal stress, etc.

As above, sometimes you see something so hideous that you can't face working on it and then you might well decline or better still take a photo and explain to the owner in reasonably understandable language just what is wrong with it.

My own recent sins (couple of years back) include adding another circuit to a rewirable board. It was one of the metal ones and an ex-council house where the wiring was in pretty good condition overall. But the monkeys who had fitted the solar panels had put the feed in parallel with some other circuit's fuse. So putting it on a new plug-in MCB (as it did not need additional RCD protection) seemed like the least-worst thing to do. My tests were "Is there anything fundamentally dangerous about it?" and "Is this going to be safer than the current arrangement?"

It is rare that I install an rcd on anything,
sockets, yes most have an rcd.
but to suggest that you should rcd everything you install is taking things too far .
But in a domestic setting what stops humans from dying if circuits aren't on RCD's? (Sorry i should have mentioned that i'm talking about domestic since that's where we work.)

Why? Is there a disadvantage to having them in industrial/commercial settings? Something to do with leakage i presume?
As @westward10 has said, you might have random trips due to leakage or noise (e.g. welder, large motors switching) and if the DB is locked (normal outside of domestic) then you get even more grief.

For most industrial equipment with proper earth bonding the traditional ADS disconnection requirements are sufficient to protect personnel from electric shock danger. Also most commercial/industrial sites have better PAT testing regimes than domestic, and you rarely have wet or outside areas where the risk of shock is highest.

Where RCD really do offer an advantage is outdoors or other areas where DIY modifications can result in cable damage. But I would never test one with my life! The trip curve should protect you, but it is not guaranteed, it is very painful, and occasionally an RCD fails. I don't know if the RCD failure rate is higher or lower than parachutes for recreational jumping, but I would guess parachutes are tested more often!

Reply to New circuit in plastic consumer unit. Yes or no? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net