Discuss New circuit suggestions. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

martspark

Hello,

Anyone have a better idea how to do this?
Customer has skt up garden. Now wants light there aswell. Feed is from 2.5mil 4 core swa run from fcu off ring in lounge.
He doesn`t want what i first suggested (IP FCU next to Masterseal skt up the garden) cos of cost (£30+ just for
FCU) & cos he wants to switch it on off from lounge.
So i`m thinking new switched FCU (3A) next to 13A in house & loop live out of first one into second & from switched side
of that then couple to unused swa core in adaptable box on outside wall. Another adaptable box by skt up garden to split off to light.
Anyone see a problem or something better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Anyone have a better idea how to do this?
Customer has skt up garden. Now wants light there aswell. Feed is from 2.5mil 4 core swa run from fcu off ring in lounge.
He doesn`t want what i first suggested (IP FCU next to Masterseal skt up the garden) cos of cost (£30+ just for
FCU) & cos he wants to switch it on off from lounge.
So i`m thinking new switched FCU (3A) next to 13A in house & loop live out of first one into second & from switched side
of that then couple to unused swa core in adaptable box on outside wall. Another adaptable box by skt up garden to split off to light.
Anyone see a problem or something better?

The problem that I can see ( I may well be wrong though) is that you will effectively be introducing a shared neutral. I am assuming that there will be two line conductors being utilised (in the SWA) yet only one neutral conductor (if I understand your description correctly).

Thanks for answer mate.
I was worried bout sharing the neutral aswell, but i couldn`t see how it`s really diffrent than connecting the neutrals in adaptable box up garden. Wouldn`t that be sharing aswell? Either way i do it the loading on the neutral can never be more than 13a allowed by first FCU.
I`m glad you could understand what i was saying. There will be 2 lives but only 1 neutral.
If any1 sees theres a better way to do it i`m all ears
i`d usually just say you just have to have IP FCU up garden or plug light into socket but they want to switch from house and not use 1 of sockets for lights cos they need em both and customer has lotsmore work needs doin but wants me to do this little job first.Think it`s like a test. So i want to comeup with best way to do it.
Big help to have someones ideas Thanks

From Ip socket with plugtop, flex into IP rated adaptable box with a remote control in it then feed out to the light. They are reasonably cheap and all men cant resist a new gadget

He will cos there having loads of other work done at the mo.
he wants to keep both sockets for other stuff he has up there already.
I was trying to work out the best way with what was there.
Thanks for trying tho.
And he wants to switch the light from house. and there isn`t much room
to mount 3 boxes where the socket is.
More worried about sharing neutrals now than other stuff.
Am i thinking right that the way i suggested first is sharing neutral so is a no no?

I dont see what you proposed in your OP as sharing a neutral:eek:

As it would all be fed from the same FCU and is protected by the same fuse i dont see a problem,now if it was two seperate circuits and you borrowed a nuetral then that would be a problem ;)

Reply to New circuit suggestions. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net