Discuss New circuits wired into a plastic consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

This was in the draft for the 18th:
542.1.201 The main earthing terminal shall be connected with Earth by one of the methods described in Regulations 542.1.2.1 to 3, as appropriate to the type of system of which the installation is to form a part and in compliance with Regulations 542.1.3.1 and 542.1.3.2.
Additionally, there shall be an earth electrode, supplementing any earthing facility provided by the distributor, in accordance with one of the requirements of Regulation 542.2.3, to prevent the appearance of a dangerous touch voltage in the event of the loss of the main connection to Earth.

good excuse for amd.1. another £85

When plastic DBs came our they were touted as safer (no exposed metal) and more durable (don't rust). I found this acceptable then and still do. Here's a metal one that was in use till last Friday, not a good advert for metal boxes!New circuits wired into a plastic consumer unit 20190308_094739 - EletriciansForums.net I have a plastic one in my home and won't be changing it unless I have to. This was just below the ceiling in what was a hairdressers: obviously a very damp environment.

When plastic DBs came our they were touted as safer (no exposed metal) and more durable (don't rust). I found this acceptable then and still do. Here's a metal one that was in use till last Friday, not a good advert for metal boxes!View attachment 48256 I have a plastic one in my home and won't be changing it unless I have to. This was just below the ceiling in what was a hairdressers: obviously a very damp environment.
So you guys on here want to tell us that BS7671 Amendment 3:2015 is obsolete.
It is a responsibility of an Electrician to follow safety guidance as in the regs.and advise clients as appropriate.

Had to install a ring main & cooker circuit for a new kitchen we have been doing.

The consumer unit is hager split load but is plastic. There is no room in the cupboard to add another board and the customers dont want to pay for a board change.

I guess i could just note on the form saying customers did not want to change to metal?

Had to install a ring main & cooker circuit for a new kitchen we have been doing.

The consumer unit is hager split load but is plastic. There is no room in the cupboard to add another board and the customers dont want to pay for a board change.

I guess i could just note on the form saying customers did not want to change to metal?
Which form are you implying?
That plastic board does not comply with the current regs.i hope you have advised them.
I wouldn't do that job unless if they agree to the change of the board.
Are you signing off any certs taking full responsibility just in case something happens?
You have installed 2 circuits a rfc and cooker radial.
You need EIC and everything has to comply with the current regs.
You cannot sign of the EIC with a plastic CU.

Last edited:
That plastic board does not comply with the current regs.i hope you have advised them.
Are you signing off any certs taking full responsibility just in case something happens?
What a load of rubbish that statement is.
You are responsible for your work carried out only.
A simple note on the eic commenting on the CU is all that is needed.
You are advised to check the connections and condition of the CU and if it’s fit for continued service then it’s acceptable to leave it.
To tell people they must have it renewed or work can’t be carried out is just plain unethical and deceiving in my opinion.
You will find a section in the on site guide explaining this very topic of installing new circuits from an existing plastic CU

Last edited:

Do you always tell customers they need a metal consumer unit fitting if you are doing electrical work in their properties?

Do you always tell customers they need a metal consumer unit fitting if you are doing electrical work in their properties?
I advise them and point out the safety issue strongly.
Most of them don't know the regulations and have no clue about the updates.
Most of them listen and book me in to change their CUs.

Where would you stop though? There are many reg changes/additions that have been made over the years - do you recommend they update their installation to comply with all of them?

I advise them and point out the safety issue strongly.
Most of them don't know the regulations and have no clue about the updates.
Most of them listen and book me in to change their CUs.
It is all very well pointing out how the Regs have changed but if you're putting this across in such a way they are opting for a consumer unit change then you need to consider your ethics.

What a load of rubbish that statement is.
You are responsible for your work carried out only.
A simple note on the eic commenting on the CU is all that is needed.
You are advised to check the connections and condition of the CU and if it’s fit for continued service then it’s acceptable to leave it.
To tell people they must have it renewed or work can’t be carried out is just plain unethical and deceiving in my opinion.
You will find a section in the on site guide explaining this very topic of installing new circuits from an existing plastic CU
Excuse me i don't say "MUST".
I say to them it needs to be changed to comply to the current regs.
Most of them take my word.
You can be mad at my way of working but that is me very keen at safety so i do it ~100%.
Uou can sceream as much as you want but that is how i have been trained to carry out my work.
I don't carry out sub standard work.
I rather not do it than loose my credibility.

No one is doubting your standards of workmanship but as dpg states where do you stop? Are you now fitting rcd/rcbos to every lighting circuit even if not adding or altering?

Reply to New circuits wired into a plastic consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock