Discuss New circuits wired into a plastic consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Excuse me i don't say "MUST".
I say to them it needs to be changed to comply to the current regs.
Most of them take my word.
You can be mad at my way of working but that is me very keen at safety so i do it ~100%.
Uou can sceream as much as you want but that is how i have been trained to carry out my work.
I don't carry out sub standard work.
I rather not do it than loose my credibility.

Yeeehaaaaa ride 'em cowboy!

Where would you stop though? There are many reg changes/additions that have been made over the years - do you recommend they update their installation to comply with all of them?

why change it?????
If it's in good condition
not electrically unsafe
AND
it was legal at the time it was installed
it is deemed legal now.
that's it

not only that, but scaremongers ( get rich quick cowboys) are telling the public that their plastic CUs are "illegal".

I had that same thing the other day, a new consumer unit had been replaced in a rented property and had been told that plastic consumer units were illegal. However, a metal dual rcd cu had been fitted which would have almost certainly improved the safety of the electrical installation.

Now, I have never said that a plastic consumer unit is illegal to anyone as I seem to remember the first regs question was that the wiring regulations were non-statutory. However, what is illegal is when you do not meet the requirements of Part P and EAWR those are statutory.

When adding to an old plastic consumer unit like most have said certain work has to be done to unsure that its electrical safety has not been compromised or needs improving.

I had that same thing the other day, a new consumer unit had been replaced in a rented property and had been told that plastic consumer units were illegal. However, a metal dual rcd cu had been fitted which would have almost certainly improved the safety of the electrical installation.

Now, I have never said that a plastic consumer unit is illegal to anyone as I seem to remember the first regs question was that the wiring regulations were non-statutory. However, what is illegal is when you do not meet the requirements of Part P and EAWR those are statutory.

When adding to an old plastic consumer unit like most have said certain work has to be done to unsure that its electrical safety has not been compromised or needs improving.

Which bits of the EAWR or part P require a plastic board to be changed to a metal one when additional circuits are being added ?

The opinion of the IET:

If I install a new circuit and the existing consumer unit is plastic, do I have to upgrade the consumer unit to a metal one after the 1st January 2016?

No, when installing a new circuit to an existing installation, after 1st January 2016, providing there is a spare way on the existing consumer unit, or if you utilise an existing way, there is no requirement to upgrade the consumer unit from a plastic product to a new metal type.

Source:
Consumer units: a brief overview - https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/59/consumer-units-a-brief-overview/

Which bits of the EAWR or part P require a plastic board to be changed to a metal one when additional circuits are being added ?

I’m right in saying the part p and eawr are statutory documents. Like I said in the case of adding circuits dependent on the necesary checks and IMO dependent on the amount of work you are doing to the consumer unit it I would install a metal consumer unit to meet current regulations on a case by case basis.

Reply to New circuits wired into a plastic consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock