Discuss New circuits. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

joehat

Hi all

I'm. Installing new circuits into a metal db with 10mm twin and earth as the tails into the main switch, so I can only assume their is a submain but my issue is the garage it's choca and we think it's where the main fuse is, would anyone be happy to put lim in this situation with the fuse ect/submain , as I am only from the house db adding circuits?

As in I can't put any details in as the main switch or submain board..can this be lims as I can't get to any of this?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all

I'm. Installing new circuits into a metal db with 10mm twin and earth as the tails into the main switch, so I can only assume their is a submain but my issue is the garage it's choca and we think it's where the main fuse is, would anyone be happy to put lim in this situation with the fuse ect/submain , as I am only from the house db adding circuits?

Joe, confused.com

i think what he's saying is that the intake and main DB are in the garage and it's full of crap so he can't access it to get details.

Sorry if I didn't explain very well but yes Tel

There's main bonding in the db in the house to gas and water,

Hi all

As in I can't put any details in as the main switch or submain board..can this be lims as I can't get to any of this?

No, you cannot enter 'lim' into any part of an EIC, that is only used on an EICR.
Without the details of the incoming supply how on earth did you assess its suitability and adequacy to serve the additional circuits?

Well how can you determine what fuse it is without taking the fuse out? Which your not aloud to do???

Well how can you determine what fuse it is without taking the fuse out? Which your not aloud to do???

Well do it quietly then! Or did you mean allowed?

If it's a 10mm T&E submarine the e there must be a switchfuse there somewhere feeding it, so why would you not be allowed to take it out and look at it?
There's more to it than just the fuse rating anyway, which I'm sure you already know, you need to determine the earthing system, tails size, confirm the size of the earthing conductor etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Also the circuits are new replacement to what was there already.

That doesn't change the rules, LIM is still not an available option for an EIC! The only options are pass or not applicable, you cannot have a fail, limitation, further investigation or not verified on an EIC

That doesn't change the rules, LIM is still not an available option for an EIC! The only options are pass or not applicable, you cannot have a fail, limitation, further investigation or not verified on an EIC

I quite often bow down to your, and some other knowledgeable posters, wisdom on here Dave. But slightly sort of disagree with your post above. I recently came across a poor TNS earth connection which the DNO was promptly informed about. They came out within an hour, and stated that as all ccts were now RCD protected, it was not an emergency, and they needed a jointer anyway as they are going to have to dig outside. Personally I thought the sheath looked pretty good for renewal of the TNS, but what do I know! With a pair of long nosed gently holding the DNO clamp in place the Ze was good ~ 0.4 ohms or so. Without the long nosed it was around 70 ohms due to the loose clamp.

I thought the DNOs response was a bad one, and was not happy with it so I put in a temporary rod to get a high, but at least stable earth path.

On the EIC I did not put NA down in the earthing arrangements section, instead I made a note to refer to the comments on existing installation section as I felt it was relevant. Yes it could have been simply mentioned in a cover note (and it was) but felt a mention on the EIC was OK too.

OK, what I did may bit follow guidelines strictly, but I can live with it!

I thought it was the schedule of inspections for initial verification that you was only allowed a tick or n/a. Not verified would go on condition report inspection schedule.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

So if you can't see what you out for main fuse? Not applicable ?

It's always applicable as far as I'm aware because as already stated you need to know ifthe existing installation is adequate for the new circuit.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I quite often bow down to your, and some other knowledgeable posters, wisdom on here Dave. But slightly sort of disagree with your post above. I recently came across a poor TNS earth connection which the DNO was promptly informed about. They came out within an hour, and stated that as all ccts were now RCD protected, it was not an emergency, and they needed a jointer anyway as they are going to have to dig outside. Personally I thought the sheath looked pretty good for renewal of the TNS, but what do I know! With a pair of long nosed gently holding the DNO clamp in place the Ze was good ~ 0.4 ohms or so. Without the long nosed it was around 70 ohms due to the loose clamp.

I thought the DNOs response was a bad one, and was not happy with it so I put in a temporary rod to get a high, but at least stable earth path.

On the EIC I did not put NA down in the earthing arrangements section, instead I made a note to refer to the comments on existing installation section as I felt it was relevant. Yes it could have been simply mentioned in a cover note (and it was) but felt a mention on the EIC was OK too.

OK, what I did may bit follow guidelines strictly, but I can live with it!

I had one similar to that a few years ago , it was sparking under test.
I called the DNO (probably the same as yours.)they were there within half an hour and fitted a constant pressure clamp. Just a difference in people lol.

Reply to New circuits. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net