Discuss New Consumer Board and Kitchen rewire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

Willsie

Hi there, I'm wondering if someone can help me. I had my kitchen rewired before a new kitchen got fitted, including down lighters and also had a new circuit board installed in my understairs cupboard back in 2006. I now have my flat under offer and believe I need to get a Part P certificate for the work done. I was unaware of this at the time and the electrician I used at the time has since moved and I cannot get hold of him. How can I get the necessary paperwork done in order to let the sale go through and how much will this cost me please? Is there a company that will do it for me or the council? I obviously need to get it done but clueless how to go about it! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Willsie :drunk:

To the point is this holding up an actual sale or are you just asking if it needs to be done?

Like everything in life depending on the market either the buyer or the seller will have the upper hand, today it is the buyer. Most likely a surveyor would have seen the alteration and noted it down, and the buyers lawyers may have picked it up.

If this is the case then all you can do now is ask a local electrician to carry out a Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) on the highlighted work. Now you could ask him to do the whole property as a good will gesture, or if they are being drop heads over it, just do the kitchen a CU, and that should be enough.

Hi Malcolmsanford, thanks for your prompt reply. The survery has not been done yet but the solicitors I am using have sent me a pack that I need to complete and they have asked if any work has been undertaken. I asked someone if I needed to note the change or if I could just say no work had been undertaken and he informed me that if this got discovered I could be done for fraud so really want to do everything by the book!

So all I really need to get done is the EICR is that correct? You mentioned "just do the kitchen a CU" - what is a CU please?

Thanks so much

C/u = consumer unit aka fuse box aka fuse board.

As Malcolm has said call a local registered electrician and have an EICR done. This is like a mot for your electrics and will state any problems that your home has.

If you post up your city/town I'm sure one of our thousands of members would help you.

Contact local BRC ask them if they will accept ECIR if they won't the will sign the job off but will charge you about £200.00 for the pleasure!

Paul.m and Bugsy, thanks so much for responses. Really helpful indeed. I live in Plumstead in SE18 if anyone knows a good spark around that area. Bugsy I will get onto the council this afternoon and see what they have to say for themselves.

Really appreciate all of your feedback.

Thanks

This work was done 6 years ago, ... just get an electrician to carry out an ECIR as Malcolm suggested and forward to your solicitor, that should be an end to it...lol!!

Hi Engineer 54, yes it was done in Feb/March of 2006. I will look for an electrician to do the ECIR then and hopefully that will cover it off.

Thanks

What the hell is a ECIR..... lol Its an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) Don't confuse the guy and make him look like a wally!!!

What the hell is a ECIR..... lol Its an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) Don't confuse the guy and make him look like a wally!!!

Picky picky lol :).

Could confuse matters even more by saying that the electrician could do a PIR until 01/06/12 if the scheme provider allows it (like some of them are).

Last edited:

Exactly what else are you going to use then?? The installation was conducted 6 years ago. As Malc has stated, all he can do now, is get a ECIR/PIR to cover the work. No-ones going to sign off on a job 6 years old, ...unless of course you want too?? lol!!

Thanks for the prices, good to have a ball park figure just to know I'm not going to get ripped off. Does anyone know an electrician in SE London who would do it? Would prefer a recommendation. Thanks

Reply to New Consumer Board and Kitchen rewire in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net