Discuss New Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B1gSte

-
Reaction score
For my extension build the electrical supply meter was moved to a box outside. Rather than moving the old consumer unit I opted to have a new one fitted. The electrician who came to look at the job told me I could provide the cu. When I rang him to ask which one to buy he said it now has to have surge protection. If that’s the case why are outlets still selling the ones without. Is the electrician correct that it MUST have surge protection fitted to meet the latest regs? Thank you.

What are they expecting you to buy...?
Do you know how many circuits you will be having...?
You could just buy an off the shelf jobbie say fully populated board with SP from tool station like this
and hope its big enough.
But if its wrong then what...?

What are they expecting you to buy...?
Do you know how many circuits you will be having...?
You could just buy an off the shelf jobbie say fully populated board with SP from tool station like this
and hope its big enough.
But if its wrong then what...?

He just said to get a metal cu with about 15 ways. I would prefer someone who gets their own gear and then just gives me a bill at the end to be honest.

Hi - surge protection requirements have been updated in this year’s BS7671 18th Edition. Some installations must have it, so from what you’ve said your Electrician has confirmed yours is one.

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t advise a Customer to buy their own CU, just saying.

The regulations state something a long the lines of this...

You either carry out the required risk assessment and establish whether a surge protective device (SPD) is needed or not. If you don't do the risk assessment, fit one.

There is a get out clause for domestic which says that you don't have to fit one if the value of the installation doesn't warrant the cost of the SPD.

SPDs are actually reasonably priced, so it's quite hard to argue that the installation doesn't warrant the cost of installing one.

So whilst there are ways of avoiding it, if the electrician wants to be certain he'd have to do the risk assessment (which, without accurate information - i.e. actual figures, will suggest you install one as far as I can tell because you'll be forced to use predefined values from the regs). Hence many people just say you should fit one.

With regards to telling you to get the gear... you don't have to use him. You could always have a look on here and see if there is anyone local to you and maybe ask for an alternative quote. Personally I would never ask a client to purchase a consumer unit.

Ok thanks for replies. Also there is a gas meter box next to the electrical one and the boiler man brought a 28mm gas pipe in behind. This goes vertically upwards then horizontally along the ceiling joists with clips onto the wall. The distance of the pipe off the wall is the depth of the pipe clips. The electrician say that the electrical wiring cannot pass behind the pipe. How am I suppose to get sockets and switches fitted to the wall where the pipe is?

Technically no cables should be 'attached' to any gas pipes (or any pipe for that matter)

I don;t necessarily have any issue with a cable being run underneath the pipe so long as it's not touching

Technically no cables should be 'attached' to any gas pipes (or any pipe for that matter)

I don;t necessarily have any issue with a cable being run underneath the pipe so long as it's not touching
Is there a requirement for a clearance of an inch between the gas pipe and the cable, as suggested by this guy then?

Is there a requirement for a clearance of an inch between the gas pipe and the cable, as suggested by this guy then?

25mm, it's not an electrical rule, it's a gas regulation BS 6891 table 6.2

Applies to electrical accessories, switchgear and wiring.

There is also 150mm minimum to the electrical intake, but doesn't apply here

He just said to get a metal cu with about 15 ways. I would prefer someone who gets their own gear and then just gives me a bill at the end to be honest.

How strange, most sparks on here would also prefer to provide the materials. Have you thought about getting some other quotations; you might then find similarly minded sparks, and lessen your problems?

if a client supplies a CU that's not to my specification, he takes it back or gets some other softie to fit it.

It is pretty odd that they want you to buy the consumer unit (CU). Perhaps this is something they always do for reasons only known to themselves. You could ask them why they don't want to buy it.

As for insisting on a surge protective device (SPD) that's not such a bad thing. I would personally offer the customer a choice but I expect some electricians now just fit them as standard due to the new 18th Ed wiring regulations. Bearing this in mind and adding it to their insistence on an inch gap from the gas pipes I would say they are a stickler for the rules which is a pretty good habit for an electrician!

It is nearly the end of the tax year. Maybe he’s close to the VAT limit. Maybe he has other reasons to keep his turnover/expenditure down.
whatever, have him specify exactly what you need to supply.

It is nearly the end of the tax year. Maybe he’s close to the VAT limit. Maybe he has other reasons to keep his turnover/expenditure down.
The tax year has nothing to do with the VAT limit - this is for any rolling 12 month period.

You gotta be installing lots of cu’s to be hitting the vat threshold?

If you hit £85k turnover (parts & labour) in any 12 month rolling period, you need to register. For this reason, once or twice I've asked a customer to buy light fittings themselves, rather than have them on my books (but they were very expensive designer fittings).

Back to the original topic, I generally prefer to choose the brand of consumer unit, I'm very familiar with a few makes, and I find it a bit easier to install one I know (and like). Plus sometimes I need to have the main switch on a specific side of the board.

Possibly having the customer source the unit could be so they have responsibility for the warranty of it. On the odd instance when a customer wanted to fit lights I believed were unreliable, I have said I will only do so if they source them, for that reason. But I don't think that is generally an issue with consumer units?

Another reason just occurred to me, that possibly the electrician has a cashflow problem, and can't afford to buy the parts themself.

Last edited:

Reply to New Consumer Unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock