Discuss new cooker installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

Innominata

Hi Guys,
I have been tasked with the job of installing a new circiut for a cooker installation.There are no spare ways on the existing CU.Is there any way that I can connect to the board without having to replace it.Also is it ok to route the cooker cable in surface mounted trunking in the kitchen as the wall is tiled.Thanks

As far as I see it you have 4 choices re-cooker circuit

1) Install Henley blocks on the tails and install an additional CU

2) Move a circuit out of the CU and use the spare way so you can create a submain for an additional CU and then the moved circuit and the cooker could be powered from this CU.

3) CU upgrade

Personally I would recomend options 3 as it will allow future expansion for the customer and as you would be carrying out a PIR, the customer will know that their homne is safe.

failing that I would suggest option 3

Regarding containment, there is nothing wrong with surface clipping of the cable down the wall, so plastic mini trunking is ok.

Richard

What other circuits exist in the CU?

If you have a bell transformer or a couple of lights on one mcb you could remove them from CU, connect them via a JB to lets say the upstairs lights and thus create a spare way - not the best thing to do but if customer wont pay for a new CU then its one option.

Another one is if there is a radial circuit feeding a lone socket, you could "spur" directly off a ring circuit and connect your cooker to the spare way created.

Thanks to Supasparxs,Martin and Legge for your replies
In answer to Martins question,I haven't examined the existing board that closely yet.It approx 8 way and none of the circuits are lablled.

Hi

If none of the circuits can be identified you will need to do a PIR as you will not be able to assess the current load in order to assess if the installation can take the additional load, experience may tell you yes, but you will need to prove this. This is also a good way in the form of a formal document to show the client the problems or improvements the installation needs.

regards

Hi

If none of the circuits can be identified you will need to do a PIR as you will not be able to assess the current load in order to assess if the installation can take the additional load, experience may tell you yes, but you will need to prove this. This is also a good way in the form of a formal document to show the client the problems or improvements the installation needs.

regards
]
I totally agree

Reply to new cooker installation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net