Discuss New cooker tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes, I have paperwork. Again, what regulations does it not comply with?

If you believe the RCD tripping issue lies with the consumer unit installation quality then that's fine. Otherwise, I'm being led down the wrong path and still have a potentially faulty hob/cooker. When you guys have tested hobs/cookers/appliances etc. previously, what would expect the earth leakage to be? Is an item considered faulty if it's above a certain mA?

Best you review the results and let us know what the IR readings are

There is no way you can say its "fine"

No - impossible to state - unless of course its leaking over 22mA

and may I add with a MFT you can't test the RCD either

Is it possible/within regs to have 1x RCBO protecting just the cooker circuit and an RCD protecting the other circuits?

You've already stated that there is a space restriction.

Best you get the spark back who did the install to do some more tests and then advise you on how best to make the installation comply with the regs.

Personally I'm very doubtful a spark was involved ... but you could try and convince me

Last edited by a moderator:
So you've got a new fuseboard plus at least 1 circuit - so not only should you have an EIC (electrical installation certificate) plus a Building Control Part P compliance certificate.

Here's hoping

Is it possible/within regs to have 1x RCBO protecting just the cooker circuit and an RCD protecting the other circuits?
Not really Maffoo. No electrician is going to fit it this way for a main consumer unit. Also, it would be pretty irresponsible of any electrician to give you step by step instructions on how to do it properly as (no offence intended) it sounds like you may try and do it yourself and even though you may be able to get it working there is lot more too it than that.
My advice is to get an electrician to change the current configuration of the board to all RCBO's. If you wanted an RCD protecting some circuits and some RCBO's protecting others then it is doubtful your current board has the capability to do that as it will probably only have one neutral bar in it.

Last edited:
Not really Maffoo. No electrician is going to fit it this way for a main consumer unit. Also, it would be pretty irresponsible of any electrician to give you step by step instructions on how to do it properly as (no offence intended) it sounds like you may try and do it yourself and even though you may be able to get it working there is lot more too it than that.
My advice is to get an electrician to change the current configuration of the board to all RCBO's. If you wanted and RCD protecting some circuits and some RCBO's protecting others then it is doubtful your current board has the capability to do that as it will probably only have one neutral bar in it.

Thank you and all of you for the information, which complied with the "be nice" rules :)

Just to be clear, I have no intention of messing with the consumer unit myself. Never have and never will - which is why I'm still alive at 40 :) Whilst I'm confident with most DIY projects, this is something I will leave to the professionals. This has come about out of my natural curiosity and the need to investigate.

It now seems likely that I've had the cooker replaced for no apparent reason :(

First thing I’d do after new installation would be to check the connections in the isolator and cooker connection.

So @maffoo ............ a "dislike" - what for ......... pointing out the paperwork and compliance certificates you should have

Rather odd feedback IMHO

It's a forum for advice and that's what I came for. I've confirmed multiple times that I have the paperwork. If your "I know more than you" attitude makes you believe otherwise then so be it. If I had the paperwork here now I could give you an idea of the content and you might be able to check if it's what I should have or not, but I don't, so you can't.

It all comes down to my original post which had all the information I thought I needed. Everyone else has given me sound, decent and friendly advice.

It's a forum for advice and that's what I came for. I've confirmed multiple times that I have the paperwork. If your "I know more than you" attitude makes you believe otherwise then so be it. If I had the paperwork here now I could give you an idea of the content and you might be able to check if it's what I should have or not, but I don't, so you can't.

It all comes down to my original post which had all the information I thought I needed. Everyone else has given me sound, decent and friendly advice.

There is nothing wrong with my advice.

It's just it's not what you want to hear ....

It's quite possible this fault was present before the fuseboard was changed and as you have suggested you have bought a new cooker which may not be required ...

Can you post a picture of the installation paperwork? Obviously blank out any names/addresses/company details.

If the problem is aggregate leakage throughout the house reaching the trip threshold, be aware that the threshold can be anywhere between 15 and 30mA for an ordinary RCD. It must trip at 30, must not trip below 15mA, many are in the mid 20s.

There are two main mechanisms that cause earth leakage from cooking equipment. Leakage from heating elements such as those in an oven or grill, is resistive, and often occurs if the element has been in storage for a while until it has had some use. The resistance will show up on an insulation test, and vary widely with element temperature and time since switch on/off. OTOH, leakage from induction hobs is mainly capacitive from interference suppressors. This will not show up as bad insulation on a 500V DC IR test, only as leakage when AC power is applied. So an IR test that showed, for example, that the oven had much lower IR than the hob, wouldn't prove that it was just the oven at fault.

It sounds like your CU is non-compliant. If the problem is aggregate leakage, sorting out the CU will probably cure the tripping. If the problem is actually a faulty appliance, it might not. There seems little point arguing this further until we have some numerical results from the tests.

Reply to New cooker tripping RCD in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock