Discuss New DB instal in my house and rcd tripping please help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bruley88

Hi all
I'mhaving trouble with a new instal its a spilt board 10 way DB
first half of the board has
down stairs lights
upstairs sockets
boiler
second half
kitchen
upstairs lights
and down stairs socket

The problem im having is the downstairs light in the hall is tripping the both rcd when turned on, I then removed the circuit from the rcd and wiring straight into MCB not touching the rcd just to fault find.when light is then turned on the rcd which is used to be run through doesn't trip but the second half of the DB trips the rcd although this rcd has nothing to do with the downstairs lights.
I have checked the factory wiring which runs from neutral terminal to top on both rcd each rcd neutral then runs to its own bar. I wired the circuit straight into the neutral terminal where rcds get there neutral feed from but still tripping second rcd.
sorry for rubbish explanation im a three phase and panel guy so this is abut out the ordinary for me any help would be great appreciated.

Seems like a common neutral. from a distance.

Borrowed neutral. Does it only happen when you use the hall light or when you put any load on any circuit, if it does you could have a neutral in the wrong bar causing an in-balance. If not your looking a the borrowed neutral situation, temp fix is to put both lightings on one mcb until you sort it

Borrowed neutral. Does it only happen when you use the hall light or when you put any load on any circuit, if it does you could have a neutral in the wrong bar causing an in-balance. If not your looking a the borrowed neutral situation, temp fix is to put both lightings on one mcb until you sort it

True, but he would still have to put both Neutrals in the corresponding Neutral bar to that MCB's supplying RCD (correct side of the board), if that makes sense. :bucktooth:

as above. posts. this problem usually occurs with 2 way switched lights, hall/landing/whatever. it's a common occurence and should have been sorted on the CU install. temporary fix.... take the bulb out.

Electrical Trainee done a runner back to mummy coz. it don't work like they told me on day 7 of the course.

firstly the spark should be fixing this , he should have noticed this if he hung around long enough to atleast function test everything ,

guys above are correct borrowed neutral , should take less than 5 mins to rectify

firstly the spark should be fixing this , he should have noticed this if he hung around long enough to atleast function test everything ,

guys above are correct borrowed neutral , should take less than 5 mins to rectify
what spark?...he`s done it himsen....
any spark competant to undertake board changes would know to IR test between neutrals beforehand...

It only happens with the hall light all other light down stairs work fine. I was thinking a borrowed neutral but didn't want to jump to conclusions. Well that the thing the light circuit is no longer on the rcd it's just run through the MCB but still knocking the second rcd off.

Time to come clean. Who fitted the board? what tests were done? Do you have an EIC? Was it notified?

It only happens with the hall light all other light down stairs work fine. I was thinking a borrowed neutral but didn't want to jump to conclusions. Well that the thing the light circuit is no longer on the rcd it's just run through the MCB but still knocking the second rcd off.

probably because the N for that circuit is still in the RCD N bar.

Something odd here a guy that does 3 phase and appears to have not come across an RCD on a 3 phase system and appears a bit light on single phase knowledge mmm

Reply to New DB instal in my house and rcd tripping please help in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock