Discuss New diyer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just bought a flat which needs a fair amount of work and in true first time buyer style, I'm totally skint. I'll obviously get a proper spark in to do the serious stuff, but am keen to do as much as I can myself to keep the costs down and to learn as much as I can. Please be gentle, I'm totally new to this

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me how best to remove a metal socket backbox that's attached to the conduit ( see pic). Does it just need brute force or is there a trick to this?

Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1474917067424-678680006.jpg

difficult to see from your pic. if it's in conduit or just through grommets. either way, with th power isolated, you need to untwist the cables and dig the box out. should be screwed into the brick.then decide what's happening next.new socket or joint and cover with a blanking plate.

I think I would be inclined to say if it aint broke dont fix it. Get a spark to test the installation to see if you really have to do any work. There may be some things which are urgent, some not a problem. But first see where the land lies. You might be doing a lot of work for no real reason.

Why are you wanting to take this box out of the wall?

General way I'd do it is to chip out above it to give enough rough to lift the box out without damaging cable and enough room to put new box back in. It will need patched afterwards, but it looks like it needs patched as it it. Is the conduit making it all the way into that box?

Just wanted to put a double box in as the room is lacking in sockets, and as you say it all needs patching anyway so I thought I might as well do it now. The conduit sits just at the bottom of the box, seems quite flush with bottom of it.

Reply to New diyer in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net