Discuss New ECS rules from the 01/01/2019 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I completed a C&G 2357 apprenticeship in November last year. I didn't get notification of my certificates until 09/01/2019. My certs are dated the 30/11/2018.

My problem is trying to apply for my gold card the ecs is saying I must be signed up to their opt in sceheme, and to do so I must have the most recent revision of the BS7671 (18th).

Have I really been stung and I am going to have to get the 18th before my gold card? (Still on apprenticship rate until it comes).

Is there anything that I can do?

Thanks.

Unless your tutors work for ECS why would they know about the change in criteria?

Unless your tutors work for ECS why would they know about the change in criteria?

Why wouldn't it be? They are guiding aspiring electricians, they should be gaining the knowledge of upcoming changes to the industry and passing it on.

Maybe we have different outlooks, but I hope to one day become a tutor, and I'll strive to ensure students are aware of what they will need.

Hello,

I completed a C&G 2357 apprenticeship in November last year. I didn't get notification of my certificates until 09/01/2019. My certs are dated the 30/11/2018.

My problem is trying to apply for my gold card the ecs is saying I must be signed up to their opt in sceheme, and to do so I must have the most recent revision of the BS7671 (18th).

Have I really been stung and I am going to have to get the 18th before my gold card? (Still on apprenticship rate until it comes).

my understanding,is (if you have the 17th edition certificate )you don't need to sit the 18th edition, but you have to have a copy of the 18th regs and know how to use it properly .
This allows us to continue working in the industry without having a 18th certificate, thus allowing a bit of leeway.
ECS will be closing a wee loophole and protecting themselves.
If they gave you a card and you did something against the 18th regs. You would probably produce your ecs card as part of proving your competence in any court case etc.

that is probably why, they have insisted you have an 18th edition regs book

Why wouldn't it be? They are guiding aspiring electricians, they should be gaining the knowledge of upcoming changes to the industry and passing it on.

Maybe we have different outlooks, but I hope to one day become a tutor, and I'll strive to ensure students are aware of what they will need.
If the tutors had to keep up with other things such as ECS, JIB, CSCS changes alongside regulatory changes would they have time to teach?

Are they there to teach and not spoon feed students?

Reply to New ECS rules from the 01/01/2019 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net