Discuss New Electric Pan Installation in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I need to replace the electric pan on my cottage. Old pan not to spec. I probably need a 150A/200A and 240V pan. Looking for advice on what pan (product number) I should buy from home depot. The old pan (ancient) measures 7 1/4" wide to 14 1/2" high. I know the feed wire I need (Southwire SE calbe AlumaFlex AA-8000 series aluminum alloy), but I need help with the meter pan. Please see all attached pictures; they explain far more than words can.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_124126809.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200703_124111060_HDR.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200906_134946139.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200907_145713563.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200907_145721595.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 16
I need to replace the electric pan on my cottage. Old pan not to spec. I probably need a 150A/200A and 240V pan. Looking for advice on what pan (product number) I should buy from home depot. The old pan (ancient) measures 7 1/4" wide to 14 1/2" high. I know the feed wire I need (Southwire SE calbe AlumaFlex AA-8000 series aluminum alloy), but I need help with the meter pan. Please see all attached pictures; they explain far more than words can.
Fred I would have to say that service is dangerous looking and needs to be replace and a good GE 200 amp panel with 40 circuits and that’s a 100 amp meter so the meter has to be upgraded as well

Fred I would have to say that service is dangerous looking and needs to be replace and a good GE 200 amp panel with 40 circuits and that’s a 100 amp meter so the meter has to be upgraded as well
Megawatt, thank you for your help. At this point I am trying to learn what hardware I need to buy. Then I can bring an electrician in. I have some questions: 1) how do you know the meter is 100 A? They all look the same to me. 2) What is 40 circuits--40 circuit breakers? 3) How do I choose a new "feed conduit" to guide the wire up to the weather head?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm currently in learning-mode right now. I want to know how to choose the new hardware--not just hire someone to do it for me. Thank you.

Megawatt, thank you for your help. At this point I am trying to learn what hardware I need to buy. Then I can bring an electrician in. I have some questions: 1) how do you know the meter is 100 A? They all look the same to me. 2) What is 40 circuits--40 circuit breakers? 3) How do I choose a new "feed conduit" to guide the wire up to the weather head?

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm currently in learning-mode right now. I want to know how to choose the new hardware--not just hire someone to do it for me. Thank you.
Fred it’s no problem and that’s what we’re here for. I knew it was 100 amp by looking at the panel. 40 circuits is how many breakers can be installed and you don’t half to fill them all, you actually really need a 40 circuit but I install them and it leaves room for more loads for something that you might want to add later, maybe a building. As far as the feed you can go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy 4/0 SE cable which would be cheaper. You will also need to buy breakers for you existing loads. You will also need to purchase one 10 foot ground rod.

Is that pipework and the meters just left outside line that?

No. I was in the process of removing the old equipment. An electrician informed me new equipment must be installed.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. I was wondering about what looks like gas piping and metering underneath the electrical panel.

Sorry, I wasn't very clear there. I was wondering about what looks like gas piping and metering underneath the electrical panel.
It's okay. It is gas piping under the panel. But it is more than 1' from the panel--which, I believe, is required.
[automerge]1600700524[/automerge]
Fred it’s no problem and that’s what we’re here for. I knew it was 100 amp by looking at the panel. 40 circuits is how many breakers can be installed and you don’t half to fill them all, you actually really need a 40 circuit but I install them and it leaves room for more loads for something that you might want to add later, maybe a building. As far as the feed you can go to Lowe’s or Home Depot and buy 4/0 SE cable which would be cheaper. You will also need to buy breakers for you existing loads. You will also need to purchase one 10 foot ground rod.
Thanks for your continued help, Megawatt. I looked into the GE 200 A panel. It seems a little over-kill for my cottage. I'm wondering if I could put this meter pan in from Home Depot. It is a
200 Amp Ringless Overhead/Underground Aluminum Meter Socket with Meter Equipment Group

(please see attached web-link). Thanks!

Last edited:
Is that pipework and the meters just left outside line that?
Starting with the pipe works goes the SE cable is sunlight resistant and weather approved so it doesn’t have to go in pipe. Using romex wiring most electricians use a peice of 2 inch PVC conduit and coming from the bottom of the panel and cutting a hole so you can sleeve it through the hole and pull wire through the hole so the can feed the loads

Starting with the pipe works goes the SE cable is sunlight resistant and weather approved so it doesn’t have to go in pipe. Using romex wiring most electricians use a peice of 2 inch PVC conduit and coming from the bottom of the panel and cutting a hole so you can sleeve it through the hole and pull wire through the hole so the can feed the loads

Thanks Megawatt. It looks a real mess. Not even straight!. I think I'd be putting an enclosure around that, assuming regs allow it. Probably need to be vented.

Megawatt: another question: I intend to use 4/0 Aluminum SER cable. The cable from the electric company is copper. Will there be a problem connecting Aluminum to Copper--specwise? Thank you.

Megawatt: another question: I intend to use 4/0 Aluminum SER cable. The cable from the electric company is copper. Will there be a problem connecting Aluminum to Copper--specwise? Thank you.
Fred just make sure you buy a tube of nolox which they sell at Home Depot and Lowe’s or Ace hardware. Good luck my friend

Reply to New Electric Pan Installation in the USA area at ElectriciansForums.net