Discuss New electric supply - ADMDs in kVA - kVA load required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi

I'm applying for a new electric supply.
UK Power Networks have requested an accurate breakdown of the "required kVA load".
ALL ELECTRIC 2 BED FLAT.

I have worked out my requirements as below in watts, but am struggling to convert to the "ADMDs in kVA" they require.

Lights: 280w
Sockets: 3200w
Hob/oven: 2500w
Shower: 10000w
Hot water instant boilers (2of) : 20000
Radiators : 14000

Total 61000w

What is the ADMD I require?
And
The kVA load required?

Tia

only if he turns them on.

Is my estimation over the top for an all electric 2 Bed Flat?

Surely there are all electric flats out there with reasonable consumption?

Diversity isn't a simple subject. I am presuming you aren't an electrician?

Diversity assumes that everything will not be working at maximum demand at the same time.

Would be worth while hiring someone to complete the design. Quite probably the electrical contractor you have in mind to install and test the installation would be able to perform this for you.

Diversity isn't a simple subject. I am presuming you aren't an electrician?

Diversity assumes that everything will not be working at maximum demand at the same time.

Would be worth while hiring someone to complete the design. Quite probably the electrical contractor you have in mind to install and test the installation would be able to perform this for you.

I'm a few months away for electrical works but am applying for a new supply due to the time it takes.

Does my estimation look out of the ordinary?

Yes it does look rather high.

Without sitting down and doing some calculations, maybe this will give you an overview.

61kW is around 265amps @ 230V AC. The standard maximum supply fuse the network operators install for a domestic property is 100amp.

I know the average kva for a flat with gas heating is around 8kva.

The way you have calculated it gives approximately 61kva (PF of 1).

Yes it does look rather high.

Without sitting down and doing some calculations, maybe this will give you an overview.

61kW is around 265amps @ 230V AC. The standard maximum supply fuse the network operators install for a domestic property is 100amp.

I know the average kva for a flat with gas heating is around 8kva.

The way you have calculated it gives approximately 61kva (PF of 1).

Thanks,
UK Power Networks have requested an accurate breakdown of the required kVA load.

If I send them my estimations they will probably advise an on site power station,
How should I breakdown my requirements?

Hi - do you really need 14kW of electric heaters in a new build 2 br flat? I’m sure there will be advice on this topic from buildings folks (sorry don’t have a ref) but I’m thinking something like 1kW for each room say 5kW. Hob and oven 5kW. Water heating 10kW. Appliances 3kW. Total 23kW or 23kVA or 100A as per Tel :) .

You might consider having a small hot water tank with a 3kW heating element for use other than shower, say.

If it helps, anything up to 100A supply (23KVA) is bog standard. Anything over is not...eek.
You may have some heat loss calcs from your building regs / architect.
This will give you how much running current you need to keep it nice and warm. With modern builds you dont need a lot of KW to heat a place, lights take sod all and how many turkeys can you cook at the same time.
Tel has best answer.
My guesstimate would be
ADMD is 23KVA
Breakdown:
Shower 10KVA
Heating 8KVA
Turkey 1.8KVA
Lights 0.2 KVA
Forget the hot water instant boilers, thats insane.
Use a cylinder with immersion 3KVA
Or, use bottle gas for hot water and cooking

Total 61000w

Wow, what are you planning to grow in there that'll need keeping at tropical temperatures?
And 2x10kW water boilers? Are you going in to business making soup from whatever it is you're growing?

Hi - do you really need 14kW of electric heaters in a new build 2 br flat? I’m sure there will be advice on this topic from buildings folks (sorry don’t have a ref) but I’m thinking something like 1kW for each room say 5kW. Hob and oven 5kW. Water heating 10kW. Appliances 3kW. Total 23kW or 23kVA or 100A as per Tel :) .

You might consider having a small hot water tank with a 3kW heating element for use other than shower, say.

Thanks,
So hot water cylinder/tank is the way to go.

Hot water tank with heating element or unvented hot water tank?

Will the hot water tank supply 2 showers, 2 sinks & 2 basins?

hot water tank will be enough for normal showers, but if you have teenage daughters, get 4 10kW boilers.

Who needs electrical design engineers when you have a forum.

Thanks,
So hot water cylinder/tank is the way to go.

Hot water tank with heating element or unvented hot water tank?

Will the hot water tank supply 2 showers, 2 sinks & 2 basins?

They both have heating elements, but an unvented tank would be my personal preference as you get mains pressure hot water.
You will have to consult the person designing the plumbing installation to find out what size hot water cylinder is needed for the demand.
I think the biggest standard/commonly available size cylinder is 300litres, which I've seen installed for much bigger properties without a problem.
Even if you needed two cylinders in tandem you would still be cutting your power consumption as they are only 3kW each.

Hi

I'm applying for a new electric supply.
UK Power Networks have requested an accurate breakdown of the "required kVA load".
ALL ELECTRIC 2 BED FLAT.

I have worked out my requirements as below in watts, but am struggling to convert to the "ADMDs in kVA" they require.

Total 61000w

What is the ADMD I require?
And
The kVA load required?

Tia
Just tell power networks 70KVA, even knowing you are not going to draw that much amperage

Have you considered an air source heat pump which would provide room heating and cooling using less power/energy?

See:

and

Reply to New electric supply - ADMDs in kVA - kVA load required in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock