Discuss New Electrician asking for help with a shower please? :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Catch22

Hi guys and gals,

I recently went to a customer's home and disconnected a shower ready for a plumber to come and install a new shower cubicle and re-connect the pipes for the shower. When I came back I found the cbale was now to shoort so had to include a new piece of cable to reach the shower. As it was an older installation I decided to add in a DP isolator pull cord, means of isolation etc and so forth. A few weeks later the customer is coming back saying that the shower is cutting out at the MCB after a few minutes of use.

The shower is the same as is the cable run to the isolator. All that's new is the cable from the isolator to the shower. I can't figure as to why it would now do this considering it's the same shower and power supply?

I have yet to inspect the shower again, but didn't want to go in looking like a complete idiot as I'm sure you can all understand so wanted to try and get some advice prior to getting there.

Many thanks in advance!

Dan

Pressure fault? if the cables are jammed in a single isolator box (45a pull cord for example) with 2 10mms it can be a struggle at times to terminate and dress properly. Also check all connections while you're there. Good luck

Rating of old and new showers? i.e. are you sure they are actually the same?

Is the same. Well customer at least claims they haven't bought a new one.

And it is an MCB, very early style. Not sure the exact BS number but it's the type of breaker where it's turned on and off by pushing the cylinder in the centre flush with the breaker.

I'll check the board wiring anyway but I didn't touch that before. Could well be the pressure? Never thought of that, but it is tight inside that box.

Thanks for the advice.

Dan

Should it not be protected by RCD?? You have altered the wiring by adding an isolater and cable between the isolator and shower. I'm sure its within zones and cable is less than 50mm from the surface of wall therefore should be protected by RCD.

Is the same. Well customer at least claims they haven't bought a new one.

And it is an MCB, very early style. Not sure the exact BS number but it's the type of breaker where it's turned on and off by pushing the cylinder in the centre flush with the breaker.

I'll check the board wiring anyway but I didn't touch that before. Could well be the pressure? Never thought of that, but it is tight inside that box.

Thanks for the advice.

Dan
as above, rcd + ?

but not in the good way!

Reply to New Electrician asking for help with a shower please? :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net