Discuss New EV charger needs no Rod and can be used with PME in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Gavin John Hyde

-
Esteemed
Arms
Patron
Reaction score
I had an email this week from PodPoint. The new Pod Point Solo EV charger does not require an earth rod and can be used with PME.
It has in built DC protection and complies fully with the 18th ed Regs.
From what I can see and having done the online little training thing, it is brilliant.
Taken from the Pod Point info
  • In-built earth-neutral failure protection (no earth rod or isolation transformer required).
  • Load balancing ensures no pre-authorisation required from the ENA or DNO.
  • Every unit is now fitted with 6mA DC leakage protection (no type B RCD required).
At the end of the day though its just a glorified extension lead and socket but around parts of Bath and Somerset it is nigh on impossible to get a earth rod in. Must be same elsewhere.
Not having to fit one will save time and make the job possible.
They are £570 inc VAT for the 7kw tethered and £528 un-tethered version.
A bit more than the Rolec but saves on banging a rod or two in. They are also OLEV grant eligible.
Recommend you have a look if you are installing EV Chargers.

I thought Rolec make one similar now too.

I also thought PodPoint have their own in house installers and don't deal with other contractors??

I thought Rolec make one similar now too.

I also thought PodPoint have their own in house installers and don't deal with other contractors??
Well they are now selling the new pod point solo through wholesalers, so suspect this is about to change. I have enquired about the OLEV thing with them and am awaiting a response.

I was looking a few months ago and it seemed like they have their own in house team so that's interesting.

Do they give you any leads?

Any of you Guys fitted a Pod-point unit yet ?

I've got my first x2 to book in once circumstances allow..... not done any just yet.

Was curious on how easy it is for me set up for end user, app/ plug in and test etc ?
Want to complete the job fully looking like I know what I'm doing!

Charger install will be the easy part.... paperwork (OLEV) also looks challenging !!

Cheers Sy;)

Any of you Guys fitted a Pod-point unit yet ?

I've got my first x2 to book in once circumstances allow..... not done any just yet.

Was curious on how easy it is for me set up for end user, app/ plug in and test etc ?
Want to complete the job fully looking like I know what I'm doing!

Charger install will be the easy part.... paperwork (OLEV) also looks challenging !!

Cheers Sy;)
There are 2 ways of doing it. Pod Point can eba bit pedantic on the photos etc and the running of a clamp to monitor the proporty in Terms of load can be a pain sometimes.
Otherwise a doddle.

The OLEV paperwork is not too bad it's just time consuming. You have to sign it as does customer. Then scan in the evidence such as log book, the install photos, the serial number and include the electrical certificate and dno form.
Between 60 and 100 days you will get paid the 500 soon to be 350. Given the lockdown Olev are on bare minimum staff levels so expect any claims to take around the 100 day mark. I have been waiting 70 days for them to approve 2 installs. Which came through on Tuesday.

Have you done the pod Point training? They have some useful videos on YouTube if you can get the links... They don't show in searches unless you have the links.
Did have them but don't anymore.

My personal view is there are better options out there without the need to worry about load clamps etc...

There are 2 ways of doing it. Pod Point can eba bit pedantic on the photos etc and the running of a clamp to monitor the proporty in Terms of load can be a pain sometimes.
Otherwise a doddle.

The OLEV paperwork is not too bad it's just time consuming. You have to sign it as does customer. Then scan in the evidence such as log book, the install photos, the serial number and include the electrical certificate and dno form.
Between 60 and 100 days you will get paid the 500 soon to be 350. Given the lockdown Olev are on bare minimum staff levels so expect any claims to take around the 100 day mark. I have been waiting 70 days for them to approve 2 installs. Which came through on Tuesday.

Have you done the pod Point training? They have some useful videos on YouTube if you can get the links... They don't show in searches unless you have the links.
Did have them but don't anymore.

My personal view is there are better options out there without the need to worry about load clamps etc...

Cheers Gavin...? done the online pod-point training little while ago now, so need to refresh myself. They did have some good YouTube links.

Just to check once the charger is actually installed do I need to set up the customers pod-point app for them or can I just plug in the their EV and its ready to charge ?

Have printed off the grant form (v2.4) all 12 pages of it !! Going to try and figure this all out next ?
[automerge]1586079054[/automerge]

Just curious which other options would you recommend ?
Cheers Sy

Cheers Gavin...? done the online pod-point training little while ago now, so need to refresh myself. They did have some good YouTube links.

Just to check once the charger is actually installed do I need to set up the customers pod-point app for them or can I just plug in the their EV and its ready to charge ?

Have printed off the grant form (v2.4) all 12 pages of it !! Going to try and figure this all out next ?
[automerge]1586079054[/automerge]

Just curious which other options would you recommend ?
Cheers Sy
I have always left the app to the customer whilst i have double checked everything. i find it better for the customer in the long run to do it this way. Pod point will usually ask for all the images etc to start the warranty.

I have always left the app to the customer whilst i have double checked everything. i find it better for the customer in the long run to do it this way.

ok so no need to set up all the app then, ready to plug in and charge once fitted ;-)

Reply to New EV charger needs no Rod and can be used with PME in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock