Discuss New fire alarm qualification great for sparks in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

who installs hard wired fire alarms these days though? 2 weeks of 2 hairy arsed installers running 200m of FP200, disrupting business and decor, as opposed to 1 guy, 1 day installing wireless detection. total no brainer.

Wireless is so much easier and better nowadays

20 Years ago I did some intrusion alarms as an apprentice having to staple miles of cable to homeowners skirting boards and door frames it looked god awful and just so messy.

Now it’s a 2hr job to install a full wireless intrusion alarm system with not a single cable in sight

The wonders of advancing technology

They should just turn the whole Electrical profession on its head and adopt a scheme similar to driving licensing. You'll do BS7671 as a base requirement, then do additionals for fire alarms, emergency lighting etc.

Punishment for non licensed work (i.e cowboys) would be substantial jail time. Question of policing it will obviously come up and batted to LABC and local FRS.

It's not an overnight fix but it's a start

They should just turn the whole Electrical profession on its head and adopt a scheme similar to driving licensing. You'll do BS7671 as a base requirement, then do additionals for fire alarms, emergency lighting etc.

Punishment for non licensed work (i.e cowboys) would be substantial jail time. Question of policing it will obviously come up and batted to LABC and local FRS.

It's not an overnight fix but it's a start

1565264919353.png
it won't happen until there's enough swill in the trough for parasitic suits.

who installs hard wired fire alarms these days though? 2 weeks of 2 hairy arsed installers running 200m of FP200, disrupting business and decor, as opposed to 1 guy, 1 day installing wireless detection. total no brainer.
I am not aware of any major fire alarm installation using wire free wireless detection. Maybe in domestic dwellings. The format on major fire installation is addressable systems. Sometimes linked back to a visual graphics package on a monitor screen.

The advisory body for fire alarm installation is LPC which is the loss prevention council. They set the standards on which the major fire installation companies base design and install standards. When we install fire systems we always use LPC approved cable. One of which is fp.

I recently installed a fire alarm to L2 (specified by Fire Officer) in a bar/restaurant with B&B above. all wireless detection, premises recently decorated and client would not accept disruption to business. 22 detectors, 3 MCP. whole install done in 10 hours.

I recently installed a fire alarm to L2 (specified by Fire Officer) in a bar/restaurant with B&B above. all wireless detection, premises recently decorated and client would not accept disruption to business. 22 detectors, 3 MCP. whole install done in 10 hours.
With respect that’s an extremely small system. I was asked to price a fire system in a large historic country estate house. Because of the oak floor boards and general history of the building ,the estate management asked for wire free. All the major fire alarm suppliers wouldn’t contemplate wire free. A small local contractor fitted a small wire free system. When the insurance company saw it they immediately condemned it. The estate then had trouble renewing its insurance.

that's insurance companies for you. 50 years behind the times. on the one i posted, the insurance assessor was happy with it. just 1 thing he picked up on was no detector in beer cellar (ground floor) but there was one within 8 feet. . soon added a detector to keep him happy.

that's insurance companies for you. 50 years behind the times. on the one i posted, the insurance assessor was happy with it. just 1 thing he picked up on was no detector in beer cellar (ground floor) but there was one within 8 feet. . soon added a detector to keep him happy.
The insurance companies work with LPC , the fire brigade also have a huge input into the regulations. All the major fire installers install to LPC standards. The highest standard involves detection in ceiling voids and under computer floors. Also in areas were you can’t easily maintain smoke/heat detection a system called vesda is installed. Are you aware of that system.

Reply to New fire alarm qualification great for sparks in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net