Discuss New Garage Supply Certs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Thomps

Evening all.

I replaced a CU in a friends house the other week, completed EIC cert and all is good. He now wants his garage supplied with some electrics, no problems as i am going to use a spare way in the CU, use SWA supply to the Garage, install a small board in garage for lights sockets.

I am going to issue a EIC for his garage electrics but i'm not 100% certain how to do it.

I take it the 'Supply Characteristics' part refering to the main incomer?
What do you put in the 'Particulars of Installation Referred to in the Certificate'? - Is this house CU information?
Is the 'Schedule of Inspections' solely interested in the Garage install?

I'm still getting to grips with this game so any help is appreciated.

Cheers

Quite common problem on the industrial sector: cu is being fed from another cu.
i don't know whether my method is ok, I treat each cu as a stand alone but fed from the same supply.

i don't know whether my method is ok, I treat each cu as a stand alone but fed from the same supply. I'd be interested in an answer to this problem as well.

i don't know whether my method is ok, I treat each cu as a stand alone but fed from the same supply. I'd be interested in an answer to this problem as well.

Why is a DB feeding another DB via a sub-mains a problem ?
Testing is the same as any other final circuit.

The usual way I do this (others may have a different method),

Is to include the sub main (the supply cable) as one final circuit on the main CU/DB SoI and SoTR, including the (R1+R2) results etc. of the sub main.

Issue a second set of SoI and SoTR and EIC for the garage installation, using Zdb previously obtained for the submain above, and include the test results of the garage CU/DB and circuits on the second EIC and SoTR.

I was looking on here for an answer, couldn't find it, thought i'd ask. If no one can help i'll just call them up.

In answer to our question , this is how i would do the certs ,

Fill out 1 EIC for the swa feed to the garage and the lights / sockets / CU in the garage but use 2 test schedules
schedule 1 just for the swa submains from the main CU and schedule 2 for the garage CU and the lights / sockets that it supplies.

The usual way I do this (others may have a different method),

Is to include the sub main (the supply cable) as one final circuit on the main CU/DB SoI and SoTR, including the (R1+R2) results etc. of the sub main.

Issue a second set of SoI and SoTR and EIC for the garage installation, using Zdb previously obtained for the submain above, and include the test results of the garage CU/DB and circuits on the second EIC and SoTR.

Sounds good, but if the house already has the Cert for the CU where your going to utilise a spare way is it ok just to add the extra test results for the new cable to that SoTR?

Sounds good, but if the house already has the Cert for the CU where your going to utilise a spare way is it ok just to add the extra test results for the new cable to that SoTR?

Simply do an EIC for the "main" DB, noting "used" against all the existing circuits. Fill out the details and results for the new circuit along with the obligatory Ze, bonding, etc etc.

Seperate EIC for the sub DB. Notitfy LABC

Am i right in saying the householder will now have 3 seperate EICs? An original one for the house CU, a second one for the installation of the new cable and a third one for the garage install?

If it was just done by you recently, you could do a quick check to see if anything has changed significantly (which it shouldn't have), and either as Murdoch said, fill out a new EIC,SoTR etc. as his post suggests, or add the sub main to the existing one if you haven't put a line through all the unused sections.

You include the supply charecteristics of the origin on the main CU/DB EIC, SoTR and SoI, as you would normally do, and put your Zdb of the sub main (as I said earlier) as the supply characteristics on the second set of paperwork.

If you had done the work altogether it could have been done under one EIC, with two sets of SoI's and SoTR's, one for each seperate CU.

Last edited:
Simply do an EIC for the "main" DB, noting "used" against all the existing circuits. Fill out the details and results for the new circuit along with the obligatory Ze, bonding, etc etc.

Seperate EIC for the sub DB. Notitfy LABC

So he'll end up with 3 EIC 's ? one for the main CU that he did previously , one for the garage submains that has now been added , one for the garage Cu ?
Im literally chewing my face off reading this.

So he'll end up with 3 EIC 's ? one for the main CU that he did previously , one for the garage submains that has now been added , one for the garage Cu ?
Im literally chewing my face off reading this.

Yes he would, based on the 2 jobs being done on seperate occassions plus 2 sets of LABC notification fees too.

Now, if the CU change is very recent, it could be argued that the original EIC could be updated to add in the extra circuit, BUT if the CU notification has been done he'll have to do a 2nd notification so a 2nd & 3rd EIC make sense.

I use PIRform and you can "copy" a cert so my "way" is so easy to do!

you already have one completed EIC for your original work , that cant be changed so put it to one side.
the rest of the planned work can be recorded on 1 extra EIC with 2 test schedules.
christ almighty.

I'm now getting lost here guys, looks like i'll be charging more to fill out Certs than for doing the actual job.

I was thinking of producing a new EIC for the installation of the sub main and adding a second SoTR for the garage. If it's wrong then i'll hold my hand up.

Reply to New Garage Supply Certs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock