Discuss New Generator is outputting 222-224volts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I have bought my first generator a few weeks ago 2800watt with AVR for when I have powercuts.... The voltage/hz spec is 220v at 50hz, but on the plug sockets it says 230volts. I have plugged in a "plugin power monitor" into the generator so I can see what its outputting and it hovering 222-224volts.... Now what I want to know is this voltage ok for sensitive equipment, like tvs, computers ect, because someone told me that sensitive equipment wont like the voltage?

Any equipment made for use in the UK / Europe should work correctly on any voltage between 216 and 253V as the mains is allowed to vary between these voltages. Much of today's electronic equipment including most computers, TVs etc. is designed for use anywhere in the world and will work on any voltage between 90 and 253V. The switched-mode power supplies regulate the incoming power to a nicety before it reaches the computer itself.

The most trouble you are likely to experience running domestic equipment on a portable generator is heavy induction motor starting loads, such as freezer compressors. Their lagging power factor can affect the operation of the generator and pull the voltage out of regulation. They are also like the frequency to be fairly accurate, which again most electronics don't care about.

Note that portable generators often produce only an approximately sinusoidal waveform, which may or may not cause your plug-in monitor to mis-read the voltage anyway.

The ratings of a generator are 220v@2800W.
So lower ratings will end up with higher voltage.
this is normal with generators and all depends on how good and fast the voltage regulator is. If it is too fast then it will for ever be changing so some time lag is needed to stop this.
So in essence, a lightly loaded generator will most likely have a higher voltage. that is normal.

P.S. I have never seen a 220v generator, they are usually 240 or 230v, in my part of the world, they are nearly all 240v, even thou we are officially 230v.

Considering that in the UK, the declared voltage and tolerance for an electricity supply is 230 volts -6%,+10%. Which gives an allowed voltage range of 216.2 volts to 253.0 volts, I cannot see a problem (unless there are very long radial circuits resulting in a large voltage drop).

The problem with the smaller sets, even with AVR, the voltage does fluctuate a bit, especially under load. Not sure how accurate a plug-in power monitor is, I generally hook up a calibrated multimeter in min/max mode and keep an eye on that.

Reply to New Generator is outputting 222-224volts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock