Discuss New home... domestic hot water linked to central heating? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

Moved into a new flat about 6 months ago, and now that the weather is getting warmer and we want to turn our heating off we've discovered a little hitch - it seems like domestic hot water and central heating aren't programmable separately. Specifically, if either the programmer or the thermostat switch off, we lose domestic hot water (once our cylinder has cooled off). Note there is a central boiler for the whole block and we have a heat interface unit.

What is the best way to trouble shoot this?

Attached are pictures - including what I think is missing wiring for domestic hot water for the programmer.

Thanks!

IMG_2481.jpg

IMG_2482.jpg

IMG_2619.jpg

IMG_2621.jpg

IMG_2620.jpg

As above regarding responsibility, this looks like a pre-wired/plumbed cylinder. I can make out from the photo it looks like S plan controlled so you should be able to control HW & CH independently. Never had the experience of when you have a central boiler so can not offer any advice other than to check the CH valve lever arm is not hooked open.

Hi,is the immersion connected,and does that work ok?

Also,just how is the billing structured for your heating/hot water?

As Midwest posted 3 HW on 4 CH on this seems to be a standard in a majority of these programmers. To answer PEG regarding the billing structure if you zoom into the last photo there is a Danfoss Sonometer 1100 which bills on a flow rate. what the box with a red neon and small box above do I don't know, I am open to for other members knowledge of how the system works.

Moved into a new flat about 6 months ago, and now that the weather is getting warmer and we want to turn our heating off we've discovered a little hitch - it seems like domestic hot water and central heating aren't programmable separately. Specifically, if either the programmer or the thermostat switch off, we lose domestic hot water (once our cylinder has cooled off). Note there is a central boiler for the whole block and we have a heat interface unit.

What is the best way to trouble shoot this?

A. If its a brand new flat and its yours - contact the developer

B. If its a brand new flat and you are a tenant - contact the landlord

C. If its an older property and its yours - contact a local heating engineer - but check they can fault find the issue before they step foot in your property

D. If its an older property and you are a tenant - contact the landlord

E. If you are intent on fiddling yourself - make sure somebody else is in the property with a mobile phone ready to call help.

The manual says CH and HW are programmable separately.
I seem to recall having a problem with one of these programmers where half of the functions never came up on the menu.
Had to be replaced.

Hi - does the pump run only when CH is on? It looks like it may need to run to circulate water when either CH or HW is calling, perhaps?

Reply to New home... domestic hot water linked to central heating? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net