Discuss New inbuilt oven circuit (25A), can I do double isolators for the hob? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Howdy experts,

I normally run 6mm T+E for cooker circuits, housing authority spec. I'm changing my gas inbuilt double oven and hob for electric/induction to pre-prep for the upcoming winter gas shortage.

Has anyone done 2x45A cooker isolators on the same circuit, I ran 10mm and a 40A MCB. Cooker is max 25A and induction hob is max 30A, diversity is we will never use both together or have all hobs on.

I didn't realise the hobs were hungrier than the ovens and i'd rather not lift the floor again to run another 6mm, and take up another CU way. So 2 cooker isolators on one 10mm circuit?

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As Tel says if space is tight then you can just whack both on a single switch , if you have space and time then you can install 2 switches

I personally don't like using 10mm , if I am wiring a new kitchen and don't have the spec I pull in 2 x 6mm cables to the oven and hob location and fuse down accordingly back at the consumer unit. But that's just me as I find 6mm much nicer to work with

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It is possible to loop 10 sq mm in and out of the better quality cooker isolators. It’s not pleasant doing it though! I’ve done it a couple of times using a 45mm box; on both occasions the plans changed during the job.

If still first fixing then I wouldn’t plan to do it this way myself, running multiple circuits in 6mm is preferable as Dusty said.

Lucien Nunes

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I can see that looping 10mm through would be a struggle. What do we think about looping out of the first isolator into the second, using a smaller cable with lower rating than the MCB but protected against short-circuit, on the basis that the oven is a fixed load? A cable the same size as the oven's own would be sufficient, so long as it can be effectively terminated in the same terminals as the incoming 10mm.

There would be the objection that someone might use the second point for a hob in future, not realising that the cable was not rated for it.

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
OP
O
Reaction score
You can get a dual cooker connection plate which is designed to connect a hob and an oven to the same cooker supply. There's no need to install 2 isolators or mess about splitting the supply in other ways.

Awesome, just what I needed, thanks. It looks weird though, is that for a 1g box with the rest of it dangling out over the front?

Reply to New inbuilt oven circuit (25A), can I do double isolators for the hob? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net