Discuss New job option available, unsure wether to jump ship? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tcrouch

Alright guys, I wondered if I could get anyone's thoughts on what it's like working on large sites such as railways, airports and civils etc? I don't really know anyone thats been involved in this line of work.

I am currently a subbie mate/trainee for a medium size commercial firm who mainly undertake office refurbishments but I have always wanted to work on the large scale stuff. Recently I found an opportunity to get involved in a 2 year long job at Heathrow airport which sounded right up my street although on the down side it is through an agency. I think it would be a good opportunity to get some containment experience under my belt as I currently don't do as much as I would like but as I am currently at college I would still like to be involved in a broad scope of work.

I would like to eventually end up off the agency and work as a subbie for the electrical subcontractors however I am unsure wether there will be much opportunity for that to happen?

A lot of guys on my firm say that working on these large sites is repetitive and dull but when I ask them if they have any experience of it themselves they've never been near one!

Cheers in advance.

A lot of the big firms that take on that kind of work prefer to use an agency workforce so they can hire and fire and pay the lads less so you might struggle with getting off the agency and going into subbying, it might be worth looking at a cards in job with a firm

as for big sites they are what you make of them, know a few lads who have been on the heathrow jobs mainly in the baggage areas and they loved it, the thing is with a lot of the bigger jobs the bigger firms love all this offsite manufacturing and modular install stuff so containment isn't as involved or as good a job as it used to be, I've done a few schools and hospitals like that and 9 times out of 10 it does get boring but if your on with a good bunch of lads it does make it easier

end of the day the only way your going to find out is if you take the plunge and go for it

Find out as much as you can about the new job.
If you think it'll give you more experience and skills, go for it!

Same as Archy, I did it in1976 never looked back, if it suits you go for if you don't you may live to regret.

OK you’ll get experience in containment……….. And…………. More containment…………. Ad infinitum.

It’s up to you. If that’s what you’re happy with for the rest of your life.

Because you state you are based in Hemel Hempsted, check the working hours or you could be living your life in the slow lanes of the M25!

Because you state you are based in Hemel Hempsted, check the working hours or you could be living your life in the slow lanes of the M25!

My mate's a courier down there and he says only morons use the M25 :)
It's great going with him when he's working, he knows roads and places that everyone else don't know exist.

It's great going with him when he's working, he knows roads and places that everyone else don't know exist.

I've been driving longer than the M25's been built so I know a trick or 3 around the western side of the M25!

Alright guys, I wondered if I could get anyone's thoughts on what it's like working on large sites such as railways, airports and civils etc? I don't really know anyone thats been involved in this line of work.

I am currently a subbie mate/trainee for a medium size commercial firm who mainly undertake office refurbishments but I have always wanted to work on the large scale stuff. Recently I found an opportunity to get involved in a 2 year long job at Heathrow airport which sounded right up my street although on the down side it is through an agency. I think it would be a good opportunity to get some containment experience under my belt as I currently don't do as much as I would like but as I am currently at college I would still like to be involved in a broad scope of work.

I would like to eventually end up off the agency and work as a subbie for the electrical subcontractors however I am unsure wether there will be much opportunity for that to happen?

A lot of guys on my firm say that working on these large sites is repetitive and dull but when I ask them if they have any experience of it themselves they've never been near one!

Cheers in advance.

I see what you did there Railway and lines very good!!

Bet he'd be the moron round here, though. I'll have to send my satnav to him for some lessons. :willy_nilly:

Some quite positive responses which is better than I have had so far!

As for the M25 I am more than used to it! Normally willing to get out of bed early in the morning to avoid the worst of it, plus I know a few short cuts.

OK you’ll get experience in containment……….. And…………. More containment…………. Ad infinitum.

It’s up to you. If that’s what you’re happy with for the rest of your life.

This is probably my main worry about the job, I guess the type of work you get given and wether anyone is willing to teach you new skills will come down to the guys you are working with and the site foreman.

So you are working on the cards for a local firm and you want to jump ship and be a subby/mate for an agency. Don't do it...can't really believe nobody has said this. The agency can and will lay you off at 1 hours notice. You will only be on containment and NOTHING else. When the containment is finished you will either be "lucky" enough to fetch and carry OR you will be down the road as fast as you can say qualified ????
If the firm you work for now do refurbs and commercial then I am pretty sure you will come across some containment...you could bring the topic up with the men you work with or even the boss at the firm whatever.....they need to be aware that you are putting yourself through college and they have no reason not to try to help you through it...cost them nothing anyway and they "may" even end up with a loyal qualified member of staff if they do right by you.

So you are working on the cards for a local firm and you want to jump ship and be a subby/mate for an agency. Don't do it...can't really believe nobody has said this. The agency can and will lay you off at 1 hours notice. You will only be on containment and NOTHING else. When the containment is finished you will either be "lucky" enough to fetch and carry OR you will be down the road as fast as you can say qualified ????
If the firm you work for now do refurbs and commercial then I am pretty sure you will come across some containment...you could bring the topic up with the men you work with or even the boss at the firm whatever.....they need to be aware that you are putting yourself through college and they have no reason not to try to help you through it...cost them nothing anyway and they "may" even end up with a loyal qualified member of staff if they do right by you.

I'm not on the cards I am a subbie, I pay for my own college, vehicle and tools.

I just would like to work in that particular area of the industry, but how do you move into it? I thought this could be a way in but maybe not.

I'm not on the cards I am a subbie, I pay for my own college, vehicle and tools.

I just would like to work in that particular area of the industry, but how do you move into it? I thought this could be a way in but maybe not.
Oh my bad i misunderstood. The answer is still the same if you think your job is safe/secure with current mob. Mates on big jobs will only do as said...containment and fetching carrying. Get the varied experience with this mob then after you qualify you could then move on and still learn more...as long as you know the basics you will be ok on big sites

Reply to New job option available, unsure wether to jump ship? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock