• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss New job wiring new builds, however I've never worked on new builds in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
So I'm sick of my current employer and went out searching for a new job last week, the same day that I applied for a job, I was asked by a company to come in for an interview, today I get a call offering me the job. It's for almost double what I earn now, however, a large portion of their work is wiring new builds. My background is primarily testing, fault finding along with some install mixed in. Now, I really want to move companies, however, I don't want to join this new firm and then not get on well with it because I'm new to site work.

The reason I don't think I'll get on with it is because site work is obviously a time is money business where lads are smashing out 1st & 2nd fixes on houses in 2 days, and I know I'm not going to be able to match that speed straight out of the gate. Has anybody got any advice on what to do? I.e on whether I should take the job, I.e any tips to get faster at new builds? That sort of thing

My advice ...

Work at your own pace and maintain your standards

New builds are a love hate thing

Some people are happy thrashing out new builds , for some it’s not for them

be sensible, if you are seriously sick of your current employer then leave.
if there is someone offering you double, take it.
worst case is you hate it and want to get out. stick it for 3 months whilst you look for another job.
best case
you love it, the lads are good on site and you are earning twice what you were.
never get stuck in a rut where you feel its a chore to go to work.
we spend so much time at work, you have to enjoy most of it.

I don't know why but i'm expecting Charlie to offer similar advice.

I would go for it give it ago keep your standards and your background of testing and fualt finding will definitely help you out and probably some of the other guys who without being disrespectful are going to be lashing jobs in and have some problems during the later stages

You will be A valued asset good luck

I don't know why but i'm expecting Charlie to offer similar advice.
:crystalball:
I would also advise you to have a chat with the new company.
Explain your concerns; you might find that they actually want you on board for your testing experience, to test all their new builds rather than doing the installs..

I would check the wages you have been quoted are not target based. I know a lot of new build employers pay like that, even to those on the books.

Yes worth checking

Last new build flats I did were advertised at’ £200 per day ‘, it was in fact on target earnings of £200 per day. We actually got a fixed price £400 for 1st fix and £400 for 2nd fix per unit (2 bed 2 bath flats)

Going hell for leather 10 hour days it was possible to complete 1st fix in 2 days and likewise 2nd fix ( no testing required )

I would pull a sickie from you’re current employer for a week or two and see if you like it. Look after number 1.

A friend of mine recently did this from his office job.
Took a week off ‘sick’ but was really having a trial period with a scaffolding company to see if he like it....

He is now a scaffolder

Many years ago, I went to work for a similar company, they were doing empty council house rewires. I could not keep up with their main installer sparks, primarily as they were both nearly 7 feet tall and didn't need steps!

However, it all worked out well in the end, as my job was to follow them up and put right their mistakes.

Also met other sparks, that had worked in other places and for different companies, which eventually broaden my horizons.

Reply to New job wiring new builds, however I've never worked on new builds in the Electrical Work - Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock