Discuss New Job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thought I'd share with the Forumily....forum family....get it....

Have succeeded in securing a job doing I&T for a compliance outfit, it may not be tht best job ever but the training package is attractive and little to no heavy labour (I'm not workshy, I just have a screwed up body and so know places for me in this industry are few and far between).

Progression prospects are good, after getting the usual qualifications, due to the variety of clients; industrial, commercial, CompEx, data & telecoms so plenty to keep me there, just need to hope that body holds out for it.

Start arae-end of the month, with Thier Ultimate goal to get me to a level were I can go out alone for them and do whatever they need, they've got a 5 year training plan in place so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Looking forward to it but also nervous (not about the work but more my body holding out after riding a desk for the past 5 years).

Just thought I'd share ?

Thought I'd share with the Forumily....forum family....get it....

Have succeeded in securing a job doing I&T for a compliance outfit, it may not be tht best job ever but the training package is attractive and little to no heavy labour (I'm not workshy, I just have a screwed up body and so know places for me in this industry are few and far between).

Progression prospects are good, after getting the usual qualifications, due to the variety of clients; industrial, commercial, CompEx, data & telecoms so plenty to keep me there, just need to hope that body holds out for it.

Start arae-end of the month, with Thier Ultimate goal to get me to a level were I can go out alone for them and do whatever they need, they've got a 5 year training plan in place so it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.

Looking forward to it but also nervous (not about the work but more my body holding out after riding a desk for the past 5 years).

Just thought I'd share ?
Are you the guy from the video with Adrian on youtube?

second above. you deserve a break. enjoy.

Great news mate, and thanks for sharing!
I wish you all the best and I am sure your positive attitude will see you progress very well indeed!

Damn it. Recognised ? guilty as vharged
Hey, i'd tried to get an apprenticeship last year and couldn't because of family issues. I'd given up and was going to do computing but the same day my missus pointed out the course at college to me, was the same day i saw your video with him and i got inspired to sign up for college.

That led to me sending out some CV's which has bagged me an apprenticeship after 10+ years of trying to get one.

I'm well pleased for you mate. You had all the same hurdles we have but with an impediment on top and you've cracked it.

Get in.

Been in thr job for a while now and overall its not bad, training leaves a lot to be desired, been doing a lot of ISITEE testing.

Injured myself twice moving furniture, first was incidental and unexpected (pulled a muscle in my neck and couldn't move it for 48hrs), 2nd was own doing; I was told not to move furniture but knew if I didn't then a sizable chunk of the job would not get completed, needing another engineer, taking longer and resulting in lower margins, so I moved items if I could, without injuring myself and tried to get most of the items but no, the cumulative effect of shifting beds caught up with me and I had to take a few days off to recoup. Both cases occurred in a hotel environment where you have to lug heavy beds to get to thtplugs of tht majority of the items. I've doing ISITEE in offices, garages and workshops and had no issue, could even call on thier employees to assist if needed but don't have that luxury in a hotel

I've been off for the past week on 'administrative leave' and have a meeting with the division manager on Monday to discuss my future. I'm almost certain I'm going to be redeployed to a desk job and any chances of gaining my qualifications and furthering myself in this job are likely kaput, time will tell but I'm not feeling overly positive.

Time to dust off the CV and press the suit, just in case as I really don't wa t to be riding a desk, had enough of that in the 6 years in a call centre

Injured myself twice moving furniture
So if you had,nt overdid it moving furniture you would be back at work Monday morning doing the job you clearly love?.On paper it does,nt look like a very difficult issue to fix ,but in reality I completely understand where you are coming from.I have always regarded "asking for help" as a sign of failure.Dont know how I grew up with this disposition but I have learned over the years that it has,nt done me any favours.
Have you ever considered going self employed ?Its "swings and roundabouts"compared to working for someone else but it can allow you a little more control over your personal circumstances.

So if you had,nt overdid it moving furniture you would be back at work Monday morning doing the job you clearly love?.On paper it does,nt look like a very difficult issue to fix ,but in reality I completely understand where you are coming from.I have always regarded "asking for help" as a sign of failure.Dont know how I grew up with this disposition but I have learned over the years that it has,nt done me any favours.
Have you ever considered going self employed ?Its "swings and roundabouts"compared to working for someone else but it can allow you a little more control over your personal circumstances.
I have no issue asking for help, the help wasn't avaliable. I made what I thought was tht better decision (shifting furniture so they don't have to send back another engineer to complete the ÂĽ of thr work that I would have not done.

As it is I'm being redeployed to a planning role in a different sector of the company, gutted is t the wors, don't get me wrong I'm thankful to still have a job but looks like I'm back to square 1 with funding my own learning and getting experience.

I have no issue asking for help, the help wasn't avaliable. I made what I thought was tht better decision (shifting furniture so they don't have to send back another engineer to complete the ÂĽ of thr work that I would have not done.

As it is I'm being redeployed to a planning role in a different sector of the company, gutted is t the wors, don't get me wrong I'm thankful to still have a job but looks like I'm back to square 1 with funding my own learning and getting experience.
What quals do you currently have?

Remember you don't always have to work under someone else, you could start up on your own. Subcontracting is the best thing i've ever done and i'll never go back to PAYE. If i don't want to work? Cool, i just don't get paid.

I know from browsing job sites there's plenty of work out there for those with 18th + 2931 to do T+I on a pay-as-you-inspect basis.

Reply to New Job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net