Discuss New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ell4848

DIY
Reaction score
New kitchen will be installed. Do we need to rewire the kitchen? The fusebox we have is ancient and our electrician has recommended to rewire kitchen then have a consumer unit just for the kitchen electrics as he said things may trip because our consumer unit is old but my builder who covers all of this said we can change the main fusebox in the house and he's included first fix electrics in his quote

We are not changing too much when it comes to the electrics, some advice would be very much appreciated

We will be replacing the kitchen light fixture that is already there(ceiling) and replacing with something similar.

The washing machine will need a new socket installed ( double socket) and plumbing as its being moved completely to the opposite side of the kitchen where it is now

Fridge is staying in same location

The gas cooker will be moved approximately 50-60cm to the left of its current location and the new gas cooker will have an electric grill inside, the previous one was all gas (new cooker will have double gas oven with electric grill)

We would want to replace all socket covers currently there as well for aesthetics
Thank you in advance

The ancient fuse board will need upgrading before long. In fact the next bit of electrical work you have done will need it.
Putting a mini board just for the kitchen is kicking the can down the road.

Change the Fusebox for a nice new shiny consumer unit and the whole house will benefit from the safety snd other features afforded you.

I would question your choice of electrician if he’s scared to change a fuse board because it “things might trip”

Not seeing your kitchen lay out if the said
Spark recommendeds a rewire then I would go with that separate consumer unit will be in order.
Thanks. I suggested this to our electrician and he suggested rewiring then have own fusebox just for kitchen.

He said if he changes the main fusebox it could trip what's in the kitchen? And because its a new kitchen he said we wouldn't want to go behind cupboard etc

Are you an electrician? What do you think. Would the new applicances and new socket trip?

With so little extra wiring , upgrading at the main board would seem the logical choice

Could end up with kitchen rewire and new main board or even extra sub -board, hard to say without a survey

Last edited:
Are you an electrician? What do you think. Would the new applicances and new socket trip?
No. Why on earth would they? It will be new wiring in the kitchen, new appliances.
I think what your so-called electrician is saying is that existing faults in the old wiring may need attention if a new consumer unit is installed replacing the ancient fuse board.
Well, that is of course possible. But I’m sure that you wouldn’t want a dodgy connection in the old wiring sparking away and catching fire, would you.
And, as I said above, when the next project comes along - perhaps new bathroom lighting, or an additional socket - that will require RCD protection and you’ll need a new consumer unit at that time, and the existing installation will need testing and faults repaired anyway.
Now’s the time. Just do it right.

I expect he's thinking he doesn't want the can of worms that could be the rest of the house or that it's a lot easier for him to give you a firm price if he sticks to just pricing the new work and then separating the new from old with a separate consumer unit. Realistically you are probably better to change your consumer unit now as well but I do understand why he has said that.

No. Why on earth would they? It will be new wiring in the kitchen, new appliances.
I think what your so-called electrician is saying is that existing faults in the old wiring may need attention if a new consumer unit is installed replacing the ancient fuse board.
Well, that is of course possible. But I’m sure that you wouldn’t want a dodgy connection in the old wiring sparking away and catching fire, would you.
And, as I said above, when the next project comes along - perhaps new bathroom lighting, or an additional socket - that will require RCD protection and you’ll need a new consumer unit at that time, and the existing installation will need testing and faults repaired anyway.
Now’s the time. Just do it right.
Do you recommend changing the main fuse board then or putting one in just for the kitchen? He recommended rewiring the kitchen. Don't know what to do obviously im new to this i want to keep costs down but I want the safest option where there shouldn't be problems in the future
As the electrician said, we don't want to be going behind cupboards. The builder has included 1st fix plumbing and electrics do you know what this covers??

Thank you

I expect he's thinking he doesn't want the can of worms that could be the rest of the house or that it's a lot easier for him to give you a firm price if he sticks to just pricing the new work and then separating the new from old with a separate consumer unit. Realistically you are probably better to change your consumer unit now as well but I do understand why he has said that.
Definitely , there's those 2 sides to it

wary of builder doing any work ekectrical. apart from the fact that it could be done by labourets on low wages, there is the problem that when an electrician does the 2nd fix and comes to test, there will be builder's work that he cannot say he has done himself and many will not certify or copmply with part pee.

wary of builder doing any work ekectrical. apart from the fact that it could be done by labourets on low wages, there is the problem that when an electrician does the 2nd fix and comes to test, there will be builder's work that he cannot say he has done himself and many will not certify or copmply with part pee.
Its a big building firm. I will clarify they are using registered electricians pretty sure they are but i will clarify its important.

Am I going with the main fusebox change or kitchen fusebox with rewiring?

Touch wood our electrics are old but they are good and served us well. No issues

The builder uses a NICEIC registered electrician so can do 1st phase and second phase

My electrician on the other hand said he thinks it needs a full rewire in the kitchen. He changed a socket at our house last year and remembered the condition based on those plug cables.

What do you think?

Builders are notorious for cutting corners. They will just joint cables and leave them in the wall…. It’ll work, and will probably test ok, but they are on a price and will do things quickly. NICEIC or not.

If your own electrician recommends a rewire, I’d get him to do it all.

As asked above, can we get a photo of the the fuse board. We can then guesstimate the age of the installation. (The fuse board and wiring will be of the same age)

Any alteration to existing circuits, be it lighting or power will require rcd protection.

To me this sounds like the condition of the wiring and existing fusebox may all be in need of attention.
The electrician working for the builders doing the kitchen work simply wants to make sure that all of the new work in the kitchen is up to scratch, and by fitting a separate new board for the kitchen and his new work, leaves a clear demarcation line between what he has done, and the existing.
It is sometimes not as simple as 'just changing the main board' if the existing wiring in the rest of the house is below par. Yes you have experienced no problems to date, but very often the faults detected by thorough inspection and testing never reveal themselves to the end user until a fault occurs and safety systems do not work as intended.
In essence they are both right, but to change the main board could lead to the need to partially or wholely rewire the rest of the house, not just the kitchen.
If you really want to make an informed decision, then the best way is to pay for an electrician to carry out an EICR on the existing wiring. You would then have the information needed to make a decision on the best way to proceed.

To me this sounds like the condition of the wiring and existing fusebox may all be in need of attention.
The electrician working for the builders doing the kitchen work simply wants to make sure that all of the new work in the kitchen is up to scratch, and by fitting a separate new board for the kitchen and his new work, leaves a clear demarcation line between what he has done, and the existing.
It is sometimes not as simple as 'just changing the main board' if the existing wiring in the rest of the house is below par. Yes you have experienced no problems to date, but very often the faults detected by thorough inspection and testing never reveal themselves to the end user until a fault occurs and safety systems do not work as intended.
In essence they are both right, but to change the main board could lead to the need to partially or wholely rewire the rest of the house, not just the kitchen.
If you really want to make an informed decision, then the best way is to pay for an electrician to carry out an EICR on the existing wiring. You would then have the information needed to make a decision on the best way to proceed.
It's my electrician that want to do the rewiring with separate fusebox

However builder and his company they can change the main fusebox and do 1st and 2nd phase electrics. I've also asked for the gas and electric quotes when completed

I've attached the fusebox we have now. It's over 25 years old

I cant open anything up to see inside as it's very high up and the stools I have to look further cannot access until tomorrow

Hope that helps

Thank you

Attachments

• 20211020_202122.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 20211020_202112.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 44

Reply to New kitchen does it need own fusebox or change just the mains fusebox? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net