uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss New kitchen electrical safety question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I've just had a new kitchen fitted and the installer came out several months ago before work was due to start and checked out what needed doing and at that time he never advised me that I needed extra power plugs.

He started the work last week and advised me that I would need to purchase a 5 meter extension and run it round the back of the kitchen to the dishwasher as there isnt a plug.

I wanted to get some advice if this is safe and if the installer should have taken the time to install the extra power point.

Thanks

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
I wouldn’t be happy having an extension lead in a new kitchen.

I would, as they say, get a competent electrician in.

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
if you have payed to have a new kitchen fitted and electrics done at the same time then, as above, I would not be happy with having an extension lead for the dishwasher. A socket should have been installed for this.

I'd say that there is no safety issue with an extension lead, as long as the lead is the correct length and rating for the dishwasher. It's just shoddy. You payed for a new kitchen so you should get one...

FatAlan

-
Trainee
Was there actually a design or plan for the kitchen. I.e this is where the fixed electrical appliances are going?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes someone came out and designed the kitchen and confirmed where each appliance would go, when he designed the kitchen he never mentioned about additional power points were needed. Then another person came out to check to make sure everything was ok and again never advised that additional points were needed.

Think I am going to complain.

James

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Check the paperwork on the original quote and order, it should state weather the electrical works are included or to be charged extra etc.

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Who did the design? When I did the electrical install for a kitchen refurb, the kitchen designer position the appliances. It was then down to me, as the electrician, to ensure there was suitable points/supplies for the appliances. If the kitchen supplier did the whole thing, someone like Magnet, they are sometimes responsible for the whole lot,

Spoon

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
But did it not occur to you? The mind boggles.
Not everyone thinks about electrical points... Most would not know or bother about the details but just expect a proper job to be done.

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
But did it not occur to you? The mind boggles.
Why should he? He has paid someone to install a brand new kitchen for him. Why should he ask if there is a socket for the dishwasher? Should he have asked if there is a feed to the cold tap also?

When having a large job done such as a kitchen it is a good idea to sit with the designers explaining what you want. Positions of sockets is pretty important, not just for a dishwasher but for all the other small appliances as well.

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
When having a large job done such as a kitchen it is a good idea to sit with the designers explaining what you want. Positions of sockets is pretty important, not just for a dishwasher but for all the other small appliances as well.
Yes but a customer shouldn't have to think about the designer not putting on a socket for each appliance. Most people would assume that it is a given.

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Reply to New kitchen electrical safety question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Top Bottom