Discuss new kwh meter on 3phase installtion. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

fancypantsyeah

Got to seperate a small installation from main supply of the building attached. The db that feeds this small unit is on other side of wall as are the meters.owner want the small unit on own board and own meter. I'm it perplexed as to which meter to use ... 3phase.. Or 3 single phase meters........ Or direct wired kwh meters or free standing ones the ones that clip around the tails....
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

If the Installation you are intending metering is more than 100A per Phase then you will have to use CT metering, you can get multifunction meters which will accept inputs from the three CT's (this is the normal way of doing this)

CT = Current Transformer, the tails fit through these

Last edited:
If the Installation you are intending metering is more than 100A per Phase then you will have to use CT metering, you can get multifunction meters which will accept inputs from the three CT's (this is the normal way of doing this)

CT = Current Transformer, the tails fit through these
the new tp+ n 3phase board will be fed either freom 1 of the spare way's in the db in main building on a 63A type c as there may be a small car lift in the new mot cetre. there is only 2-250watt son lights, 3 -13A- 2gang sockets,, and 2 - 3phase sockets in the unit to be on it's own.
ya don't know or have any useful feeds or links for these meters do you....
thanks for the help so far...

were best place to get one ya recon,, just been looking at the current transformer range, would be first time i installed one ...would you recomend a 3phase direct wire meter ... or the current transformer and multimeter, range... the way i maybe thought was a 16mm2 or 25 mm2 swa feed from main db inti directwire meter in an metal enclosure , then mount the new db on top of the meter pack and hay preto...lol.... but the current transformer way seems like lesss hassel....but cannot seem to gget a price on these transformers....ya got any useful info... would be greatly appreciated..

The easiest cheapest way is to do as DPElectrical said, Direct wired type, as your supply is sub-100A.

I would probably try to fit the meter enclosure at the source DB (on the 'landlords premises' ?) just before the distribution cable to the rented/metered part of the install, and then fit a new DB in the rented premises.

The CT method I think is neater, but more costly/complex, and not needed in this case

Last edited:
think i made mi mind up...lol... 63A TYPE C feed, on a 25mm2 swa- cable to the metal meter enclosure and the direct 3ph meter , that feeds the new 3phase tp+n 8 way DB... does this sound ok ???? can anyone spot any holes in this method .... thanks for all ya help fellow sparks... ya my hero's,,....lol.....
if anyone knows a good place to get one of these meters from please send me a link ,,,, would be greatly appreciated.......

my computer is running a bit slow so posted last comment before read your ... thanks for ya input...
there is not much room on landlords side ... maybe..... deserves another look..... the new DB is on the other side of the wall to the landlords meters and the DB that will be feeding the new one..
would there be anything wrong with nouning the new 3 ph DB on top of a meter pack in a metal enclosure??????

would there be anything wrong with nouning the new 3 ph DB on top of a meter pack in a metal enclosure??????

Not Electrically, I was thinking more for security reasons.

thanks spark68.... i'm new to this site been a spark far 7 years an only just joined,,, still so much to learn.....didn't even know site had a sponsor......ya did help me....cheers mate......

thanks for ya imput tony..... i'm gonna go with the direct wire option ...... will mount the meter on main build side........ even though i don't think the meter being bypassed would be an problem in this case ......thanks fellow sparks.......

Reply to new kwh meter on 3phase installtion. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock