Discuss New light switch turns off power to circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Brainwash

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all!
I tried to replace toggle light switch for a rocker switch, but got no power from that breaker once it was flipped back on.
So, I re-installed the old switch and everything works fine... until I flip the switch. This cuts power to everything on that circuit, (but, does not trip the breaker). Flip the light switch to off, and all the light and power come back on.
  • The switch operates the back deck outside light
  • Tried another new light switch, but still not working
  • I have not changed or altered any wiring
  • All three wires to the switch are white
I cannot figure out what has caused this, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

It must be connected incorrectly. So you have the same issue even when refitting the original switch.

Thanks Westward10, for the response. The house wiring hasn't changed and I tried switching the wires around (to the light switch) in case I had it wrong, but no change.
Any suggestions for a fix? Thx.

I would speculate two of the wires should be at the same terminal, there are only so many combinations it can be.

This is the only 3 wires that I've touched (see pic) and I've tried all combinations. Could there be a problem with the outside light, even though I haven't touched it?

Attachments

• New light switch turns off power to circuit switch - EletriciansForums.net
    switch.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 25
If that only switches the outside light then two of those wires need connecting together at the same terminal, hot in and hot out. I assume there are three whites tucked into the back box.

I haven't messed with the white wires for this switch swap. Do they need to be re-wired?
Thx!

Attachments

• New light switch turns off power to circuit switch_inside1 - EletriciansForums.net
    switch_inside1.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 26
  • New light switch turns off power to circuit switch_inside2 - EletriciansForums.net
    switch_inside2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 23
No leave them, is there three of them.

The copper coloured screw should be common, this should have two of the blacks connected to it. The other black goes to a silver coloured screw and you have only three ways this can go. Keep connecting until you get it right.

I notice on the photos, there is one black taped with white/red label. The other 2 have a white/black label.
Put the 2 white/blacks together. And connect to one of the terminals at the top of the switch. Leave the white/red where it is.

what’s happening is your new switch is a 2 way,(or 3 way depending on your terminology)
The switch is flicking between the 2 cables with the white/black labels.

Hey littlespark, of the two black labels, one was originally connected to the ground screw. Ok to still connect them together? Nothing on the ground?
Thx!

No. That wouldn’t be a good idea. Ignore me.

I thought the hidden terminal on the first pic was part of the switch, not the ground. Ill leave the American stuff to someone that knows better than me.;)

I find that odd the black is connected to ground. Are all the blacks coming from the cables or is one connected from the back box. Are the bare grounds not within the back box.

Ill leave the American stuff to someone that knows better than me.
Hey littlespark, thanks anyway!
[automerge]1586906869[/automerge]
I find that odd the black is connected to ground. Are all the blacks coming from the cables or is one connected from the back box. Are the bare grounds not within the back box.
None of the cables are bare and worked fine until I tried to change the switch. Not sure about the black box question (see pics) Thx!

UPDATE:

Put the 2 white/blacks together. And connect to one of the terminals at the top of the switch. Leave the white/red where it is.

This was correct! (Thanks Littlespark!) There were 2 live wires, which I connected together and the neutral wire (which was on the ground connection) was connected to the top.

Thanks for all the help!
Cheers!

Reply to New light switch turns off power to circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock