Discuss New MCS Certificate in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm glad they have cleared up that TIC = DNC but still means companies could put the TIC and DNC as the inverter rating. Even if it shouldn't be the case, all FIT suppliers I think now ask for the number of panels and total wattage of each panel on the FIT application form so really TIC and DNC need to be the peak rating of the panels regardless of the legal nature of the definition of TIC.

I like the idea of putting the cost information into the certificate as it means DECC aren't using sample data from 10 companies to form the basis for their future policies. If pv prices increase and this is reflected in the MCS certificates over the next 3-6 months then at least DECC will have access to up to date information. Although i am not sure what it means by ' the cost does not need to cover anything other than the cost of the MCS certified product'. Do they mean we should only put in the cost of the PV panels for Solar PV?

All the other new requirements don't really bother me either way.

Although i am not sure what it means by ' the cost does not need to cover anything other than the cost of the MCS certified product'. Do they mean we should only put in the cost of the PV panels for Solar PV?

I would hope not, since the data is being used by DECC to monitor installation costs. I would suggest it's a vaguely worded attempt to find out the cost of an MCS accredited solar PV installation. Otherwise, it's a pretty meaningless measure for DECC.

I would hope not, since the data is being used by DECC to monitor installation costs. I would suggest it's a vaguely worded attempt to find out the cost of an MCS accredited solar PV installation. Otherwise, it's a pretty meaningless measure for DECC.

Then they should be more clear with their wording. You'll get some companies putting in TIC as the inverter and some as the panels then some will put the total installed cost of the system and some will just put the cost of the panels.

I'm more than happy for us to put our total installed costs down on the MCS cert if it means DECC have up to date costs.

My discussions with the head of the MCS unit at gemserv were unambiguous and very concise.

If you install an inverter capped at 16A then the TIC = 3.68kW irrespective of the kWp of the panels.

The SSEG is the inverter (that's what has to be installed to G83 / G59 etc) the panels are purely the power source, in the same way that a pile of coal is for a coal fired power station.

Completely agree, but have MCS put that in writing and told all registered installers that that is what they should do when completing the cert?

@TedM, nope, you need to pin them against a wall at one of the exhibitions etc they attend! :33:

My discussions with the head of the MCS unit at gemserv were unambiguous and very concise.If you install an inverter capped at 16A then the TIC = 3.68kW irrespective of the kWp of the panels.The SSEG is the inverter (that's what has to be installed to G83 / G59 etc) the panels are purely the power source, in the same way that a pile of coal is for a coal fired power station.
Is this his/her opinion or MCS/gemserves position? As ofgem and decc as of may last year thought and stated TIC= panels. All fit suppliers ask for number of panels and peak wattage now so its ofgem and deccs position that tic = panels

Hi, could someone explain to me the "self certification through a CPS" within the building regs compliance section? Ive never done this before, thank you in advance

Also relates to Part A - be careful with your response, not all MCS certification bodies are equal ...

CPS = Competent Persons Scheme.

My question si though....

On a commerical contract if the client sources themselves the panels, mounting, system, cables and inverter etc, as specified by the MCS certified installer, Then what price would you enter, as you would have no idea... - Also applies to social housing or new development jobs...

Is this his/her opinion or MCS/gemserves position? As ofgem and decc as of may last year thought and stated TIC= panels. All fit suppliers ask for number of panels and peak wattage now so its ofgem and deccs position that tic = panels

Seeing as I had the head of the MCS division from Gemserv, his employees and Ofgem sitting at the same table at the time, - and I asked him twice this was clearly not a personal opinion, it was clearly the "MCS Licensee's" offical position

Did the OFGEM representative at that meeting not respond to this statement? If not I could only surmise that they did not realise the significance of what was being said, or maybe they were experiencing temporary 'professional deafness'.

Ofgem fully understood EXACTLY what was being said, as I put forward the idea of an east / west 2 x 2.5kW system as the example... They declined to give an answer though, and didn't "correct" Gemserv, despite being prompted to comment at least twice...

Also re my comment on cost of system above, I've just registered a new site on the database, and the instructions tell you to put 0.00 in for the price untill they have clarification of what DECC want it for :)

My discussions with the head of the MCS unit at gemserv were unambiguous and very concise.

If you install an inverter capped at 16A then the TIC = 3.68kW irrespective of the kWp of the panels.

The SSEG is the inverter (that's what has to be installed to G83 / G59 etc) the panels are purely the power source, in the same way that a pile of coal is for a coal fired power station.
unless you have that in writing it's meaningless.

I have it in writing from the head of the renewables section at Ofgem that they do not accept this is the case, and were instructing Gemserve to that effect.

Cost me about a grand in refunds, and £2.5k in legal fees as well did that dispute before we were forced to give up challenging them.

Though it's very interesting that you've had that opinion verbally from MCS in that setting. I might go back to Ofgem with that statement and see if they've changed their position again.

I have it in writing from the head of the renewables section at Ofgem that they do not accept this is the case, and were instructing Gemserve to that effect.

Although OFGEM have said that to you, both OFGEM and Gemserve in their formally published guidance to date have been quite careful not to contradict the legislation as I interpret it (ie the same way as Worcester). Gemserve are just a commercial company providing a service and will be quite careful to make sure they do not do anything that will leave them liable downstream. OFGEM I regret are a) covering their arris not wanting to admit a mistake they have made in interpreting the legislation and hoping the issue will go away and b) probably think they are doing the right thing minimising solar pv fit payments after all the initial furore even if that is not what the legislation says nor what they have formally been instructed to do.

Reply to New MCS Certificate in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock