Discuss New member help please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I have dabbled in electronics and upto 240v including cctv and access control.

I have just built my woodworking workshop and trying to sort electrics.

I am in rented and have an outside radial but is not man enough for the utility room it supplies as it is. My landlord refuses to upgrade it or allow me to get a qualified sparky in to do it.

I have 63amo wylex consumer unit with 32amp ring main and 6 amp lighting. I am now stuck on how to get the feed to my cu. Ideally a sparky to wire it straight in the mcu but there is no room. I have swa cable 4 core as the feed as it has to go around brick outbuildings to reach my shop I have been advised 2 different methods and am now confused.

1 connect the swa to a high amp ie shower or cooker radial.

2 extend the nearest ring (kitchen) that only uses kettle toast regular then other small kitchen appliances (white goods in utility on separate supply)
Thanks.

Mike

As your landlord has said no if you go ahead with the work you would be in breach of your occupancy agreement and he would be well within his rights to evict you.

I've lived in rented properties in the past and the only option was to use an extension lead from the house.

Your addition installation may be too much for the incoming supply, and your landlord may well know this. Hence why he is refusing.

4 core swa cable? Can you explain why 4 cores?

Wow fast responses, thank you.

I am only not allowed to have the utility radial sorted out.

The mcu has no room for a dedicated run. At the moment I'm not drawing to much over the extension lead but don't have enough plugs for everything I need and have more machines to come. Obviously losing the lights while working is not safe if everything is running off an extension lead.

Hi I have dabbled in electronics and upto 240v including cctv and access control.

I have just built my woodworking workshop and trying to sort electrics.

I am in rented and have an outside radial but is not man enough for the utility room it supplies as it is. My landlord refuses to upgrade it or allow me to get a qualified sparky in to do it.

I have 63amo wylex consumer unit with 32amp ring main and 6 amp lighting. I am now stuck on how to get the feed to my cu. Ideally a sparky to wire it straight in the mcu but there is no room. I have swa cable 4 core as the feed as it has to go around brick outbuildings to reach my shop I have been advised 2 different methods and am now confused.

1 connect the swa to a high amp ie shower or cooker radial.

2 extend the nearest ring (kitchen) that only uses kettle toast regular then other small kitchen appliances (white goods in utility on separate supply)
Thanks.

Mike
If you are in rented accommodation then dabbling with the Electrical Installation, could render your rental agreement void, consequently the landlord could evict you as he has already denied permission to do any work on the electrics.
By the sound of the later part of your post you still intend in doing this work, a bad move on your part.

Reply to New member help please in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net