Discuss New Member-Need electrical advise on scooter in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RocInOz

Hello All
I have searched and searched for any solutions to my electrical problems without any luck and I have now found this forum so I'm hoping someone can give me advise of where to look for this solution.
I have a scooter and a few days ago I started it without any problems. Minutes into my ride, I noticed my indicators being weak so I noticed my lights were on including the high beams. Being daytime, I turned everything off but I was a little concerned nevertheless. When I finally arrived to my destination, I switched off from the key and then tried to turn on but now I had no power. Had a look at the battery and everything seemed ok. No leaking acid or any corrosion on the cables. Managed to kick start it and all lights came back on. I got home and tested the battery and it gave me 12.5 v. I checked the cables again and all seemed in good condition but just gave it another clean. I also had the battery professionally checked and they said the battery was working excellently but I can't turn the power on from the key switch.
So to summarise:

I have no power (lights, instruments, horn) from the key ignition
I can get power and engine on from the kickstart
I have checked the battery
I have checked the cables out from the battery so no corrosion or burned bits
I am able to switch off from the key ignition

As I have little knowledge on electrics, my first thought was that the key ignition might be the problem as the power starts from there so any units further on will require power to get it started...right?

OK if anyone has any answers, please let me know on how I can check it because I have no one that wants to work on scooters so i have to do it all. Also, please let me know how I need to test this.

Cheers!

If you can run the lights normally when the engine is running then the rectifier/regulator should be OK, if the battery is tested as OK then we have to assume it is OK.

You could have a loose connection in the feed out from the ignition switch or part of the ignition switch itself or if there are relays for transferring power to lights etc. then these may have gone although the fact that they work when the engine is running disputes this.

Possibly it is just the connections to the starter motor that have gone, it may be worth measuring the voltage at the starter motor terminals when starting to check.

If you can find a manual for your model of scooter online then this may help diagnose the problem.

Thanks
I have tried and tried to find a manual, even going to the manufacturers, Chines, who say don't don't make them anymore...Anyway, long story short, there is little help from them.

My electrical knowledge is basic to say the least but hoping an electrical expert who I know , might come around but they're taking their time.

I may have to strip all cables from the ignition switch end and follow to see if there is a break or a short somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for your advise.

If there are anymore ideas out there, please don't hesitate to send them to me.

All The Best.
ROC

Thanks
I have tried and tried to find a manual, even going to the manufacturers, Chines, who say don't don't make them anymore...Anyway, long story short, there is little help from them.

My electrical knowledge is basic to say the least but hoping an electrical expert who I know , might come around but they're taking their time.

I may have to strip all cables from the ignition switch end and follow to see if there is a break or a short somewhere.

Anyway, thanks for your advise.

If there are anymore ideas out there, please don't hesitate to send them to me.

All The Best.
ROC

Hi dude,add an "e" to the end of that,and you may have found your problem...if it indeed hails from that origin,problem solving and parts sourcing may prove troublesome.

I regularly get presented with these items...the very latest,being an electric/hydraulic log splitter which leaks like a naughty puppy,and has non-obtainable castings,made from ginger-biscuit...

Have you a manufacturers' name? :shocked3:

Reply to New Member-Need electrical advise on scooter in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net