Discuss New metal 2 way unit fed from old Plastic 10 way consumer - Ok or not ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

alPudsey

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I have just had work done but not sure if this is acceptable as i am having doubts.

I have an existing 10 way 'Plastic' consumer unit, fitted in 2004.
Electrician has now added a new 2 way METAL unit to feed the dormer Ring mains and Lights & the tails are fed to inside the old 10 way (not from a splitting Henley block).

Even if it is correct, would they have to test the old consumer unit and circuits as well ? , as new one is being from the internals of the old one ? Some of the existing circuits did trip a few times when he was working on it, hence why Im asking about 'testing' of old one

Can you feed a new consumer unit directly from the inside of exsiting old one ? If yes, would installation testing have to include the old consumer too or not ?

only needs to test what he's fitted. however, he must also ensure that the existing is safe for continued use.

How do you mean 'from the internals'?
If he has fed the new CU from an existing or spare way, the supply circuit only should be tested not the other circuits on the existing CU.
If 'from the internals' you mean he has connected into the top of the main switch/isolator, not ideal but the main cutout might be providing the OCD for the supply circuit? Again, existing circuits need not be tested.

It depends on what "tripped" when he was installing. All he really needs to check is the EFLI for the circuit and that the MCB for the circuit to the new mini board is correct for the cable. No need to do anything with the exsiting circuits, if no work has been done on them.

It is perfectly acceptable to feed a small consumer unit off your existing one even if it is plastic and he does not have to test the entire consumer unit, only the circuit he is installing unless otherwise agreed. Without any other details from what you have described I'd say its fine

The feed to the metal board should be provided with circuit protection via an MCB in the plastic board for a 5sec disconnection time.....NOT from the top of the incomer in the plastic board...

The feed to the metal board should be provided with circuit protection via an MCB in the plastic board for a 5sec disconnection time.....NOT from the top of the incomer in the plastic board...
Can't see any problem feeding from the top of the main switch IF the main switch has sufficient capacity for the extra tails, the connection can be made without excessive copper showing and at the same time be secure, and the new tails are sized sufficient for the design load of the new board.
And the total length of the tails from the meter still doesn't exceed 3m.

Last edited:
Can't see any problem feeding from the top of the main switch IF the main switch has sufficient capacity for the extra tails, the connection can be made without excessive copper showing and at the same time be secure, and the new tails are sized sufficient for the design load of the new board.
If the meter tails to the plastic DB were 3m long and then you fed another board from the supply terminals of the main switch in the plastic board, could this been seen as having the meter tails being longer than the 3m recommendation from the DNO?

My preference when adding additional fusebox/CU is to take from source splitting tails/ Henley block etc, jumping off main DP incomer forget that not for me. As for using a spare way to create sub circuit to a new CU not for me neither.

My preference when adding additional fusebox/CU is to take from source splitting tails/ Henley block etc, jumping off main DP incomer forget that not for me. As for using a spare way to create sub circuit to a new CU not for me neither.
Do you provide an isolator for each new board you add in? Or if there's already one fitted after the meter do you use this to feed the Henley blocks first which in turn feed both boards?

Do you provide an isolator for each new board you add in? Or if there's already one fitted after the meter do you use this to feed the Henley blocks first which in turn feed both boards?
I didnt mention isolators but yes would utilize existing (if one there or fit) on outgoing then fit my henleys so yeah only one to control the additina boards.

And the total length of the tails from the meter still doesn't exceed 3m.
You should be using phase blocks to split feeders in my book...

I've seen it before and I don't like it

If the meter tails to the plastic DB were 3m long and then you fed another board from the supply terminals of the main switch in the plastic board, could this been seen as having the meter tails being longer than the 3m recommendation from the DNO?
This 3 meter rule/ reg is often mentioned. There is no reg that states this.
in some cases 10 meters is perfectly acceptable in others it’s not.

Agree there's no reg but it's often mentioned that this is stipulated by the DNO - is this not the case? This is what I've heard from other people on here but never actually heard it direct.
I also used the think the 3 meter rule applied for th3 same reason you thought. I’d heard it from various people.
I only discovered it wasn’t an actual reg when I came across an installation that had 10 meter tails. I contacted the DNO and they said they where happy with this arrangement. So I looked into it deeper and found no written stipulation.

as for original poster.
it’s fine to take a feed from a plastic CU to a metal CU.
however if tails (16mm or 25mm) are being taken out of the plastic main switches intake, I’d personally not do it.

however-
ive seen this done in industrial and was surprised when I did, but decided the main tails to both CU’s are protected by the incoming. However I’ve never seen this in domestic.
conclusion
can’t see a big issue with this, but I personally would not do it.

I also used the think the 3 meter rule applied for th3 same reason you thought. I’d heard it from various people.
I only discovered it wasn’t an actual reg when I came across an installation that had 10 meter tails. I contacted the DNO and they said they where happy with this arrangement. So I looked into it deeper and found no written stipulation.

as for original poster.
it’s fine to take a feed from a plastic CU to a metal CU.
however if tails (16mm or 25mm) are being taken out of the plastic main switches intake, I’d personally not do it.

however-
ive seen this done in industrial and was surprised when I did, but decided the main tails to both CU’s are protected by the incoming. However I’ve never seen this in domestic.
conclusion
can’t see a big issue with this, but I personally would not do it.
Thank you

Reply to New metal 2 way unit fed from old Plastic 10 way consumer - Ok or not ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock