Discuss New MFT Required....but which one? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bellendian

-
Arms
Reaction score
So the screen on my trusty MFT1552 has died....probably time to replace it anyway...Looking at the new Megger MFT17xx series, but interested to hear any thoughts on alternatives!

Or even better.....someone telling me that their 1552 did this, and it was a cheap fix! Unlikely though I guess!

Cheers

heard good reports about them. they're in Stafford.

Avoid the ethos 8400. I got talked into one. The leads are pants. You cant do a 2 wire no trip test which means a Zs test at most light switches is not possible if the circuit is RCD protected. My meter has been back for repair twice, 2nd time it was replaced, had it less than a year.

get the 1552 repaired. they don't make 'em like that any more. which reminds me, my 1553 is out of calibration by 2 months. YESSS usually do a free jobby in July, but not this year. think I'llgo up and nick the wheels off 1 of their vans. ;) ;) ;)

+1 for megger really

Had a cm500 for years, selector switch wore, they wanted more to fix it than a new one "standard repair fee sir" and wouldn't budge or be reasoned so went from liking the brand and being quite ready to buy a new megger if necessary, bought a £1k metrel instead. Had a succession of 3 of 'em (2 nicked), never that impressed, buggy. 3rd had a fault after 2 or 3 years, and their quoted repair cost plus rental (2-3 weeks!) meant it was cheaper to buy a " getting cheesed off now" £450 Martindale MFT. That was always a bit buggy and got really quite buggy after 2 or 3 years and didn't trust it so I swallowed pride and bought another megger, which TBF is an all round much better feeling machine than anything I've had in between.

Just need to accept whether you're talking meggers or Mercedes, they want you to bin it in after few years and buy new, is the way of the world today.

I have a megger 1552 and still think it's better over the new meggers. I recently had a third party company to come out to test a board change for me that I am using as part of my assesment and he had a megger 17xx and I t wouldn't test the rcd trip times properly. So I got my megger out and I carried out all tests fine and showed that the rcd was acceptable. I said I was looking to get a new megger soon and the chap told me not to yet until they bring out the new models as this wasn't the first time his tester didn't work properly. Then when I took my tester to be calibrated I told the chap about the situation and he confirmed that it is a problem on the 17xx series and he recommended to get a kewtech. Needless to say I am sticking with my 1552 for as long as possible.Hope this helps.

Thanks, yes I do like the new Meggers, 1741 was the one I was looking at mainly due to this new no trip loop algorithm. I've noticed big problems with the 1552 loop testing lighting ccts with leds, the noise symbol appears and the number is meaningless.
Anyone with the 1741 found the loop testing to be more tolerant of noisy circuits?
Also we get lots of TT installs round here, have I understood the blurb properly, and is the 1741 capable of Ra testing?
No mention of Fluke which has surprised me?
Reckon I'll buy a new one but get the 1552 repaired if poss and keep as spare for Apprentice.

I have the fluke1664, it’s fine. I don’t get dislike it so I think it must be good and I’m just taking it from granted now. I used to have a metrel easytest thing, the fluke it much better than that. It has Bluetooth and memory but I never had the inclination to learn to use it. It has a soft test before doing IR to avoid accidentally damaging anything. I do t really like the fluke cases tho.

I too have a 1552, and it's been an excellent tester never had any issues with it in the 12years at least that I have owned it! I was looking to upgrade as well but have come to the decision to keep going with the one I have till it can't do what it needs to or ultimately fails beyond economical repair.
Keep an eye on the bay, sometimes one half descent comes up!

I went and spent the money and got the 1741, it was a lot of money but it is a business expense.
i had a fluke before, so it took me some time change from 1 to the other and had to watch some youtube videos on how to use it but now it is almost second nature (my fluke mft could not test type A rcd but i have kept it certificated and on the van for a spare)
I must admit the bluetooth feature is not needed by me so far

Thanks, yes I do like the new Meggers, 1741 was the one I was looking at mainly due to this new no trip loop algorithm. I've noticed big problems with the 1552 loop testing lighting ccts with leds, the noise symbol appears and the number is meaningless.
Anyone with the 1741 found the loop testing to be more tolerant of noisy circuits?
Also we get lots of TT installs round here, have I understood the blurb properly, and is the 1741 capable of Ra testing?
No mention of Fluke which has surprised me?
Reckon I'll buy a new one but get the 1552 repaired if poss and keep as spare for Apprentice.
The loop confidence measure is good. I Ra test with mine all the time. Maybe also get the iclamp and/or the megger professional Ra test kit (although it’s several hundred pounds).

ive also been using a Metrel which I really like.

I can only give advice on the 2 I have owned:

1. Metrel MI3000

Easy to use and understand, affordable, I like the fact you don't have to plug in each lead separately to the unit.

Price 8/10
Reliability and accuracy 5/10
Ease of use 9/10

2. Megger 1731

Noticeable better than the Metrel above but far more expensive. Really like the 2 lead test for Zs testing with an RCD in situ. I trust the results as I have seen consistency over time (unlike the metrel which I occasionally thought was giving odd results). Fiddly test leads.

Price 6/10
Reliability and accuracy 9/10
Ease of use 7/10

Reply to New MFT Required....but which one? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net