Discuss New Multi Function Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

russmossy

We are about to start a large scale Periodic test and inspect programme of light commercial premises including three phase circuits. We are not concerned with PAT or FAT testing at this time. I am taking the oppurtunity to update our MFT's which currently are a mix of Megger and Metrel. Our guys use them with varied opinion and preference so I thought this would be a good time to standardise and get everyone using the same kit.

Reading reviews and forums I think I have a shortlist consisting of:-

Megger 1720 £670, Kewtech KT65DL £645, Fluke 1654B £655. but am open to suggestion.

I began my search by looking at the Megger 1730 but think this has too many functions we simply would not use.

I am a big fan of Fluke (leads can be dodgy?), not so much Megger plus I understand their power suite is not worth the bother and having little personal experience of Kewtech I do hear that people who use them absolutely love them (not in a pervy way).

So any "not so technical" advice would be more than welcome. I understand a great deal is down to personal preference but as I am buying for several people thats not going to happen. I would be particularly interested in any software that would download directly to NIC forms.

I would recommend Megger separates.
We use them and are very simple and easy to use.
It does have the download option but we use amtech on iPad for certificates as is I find it a far better package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

second vote for megger. bulletproof.

Another vote for Megger 1720, good leads and pretty bulletproof.

1720 model features the auto RCD function which would save time on "large scale" sites if working alone!

I'll make it a clean sweep for the megger 1720, simple & reliable.

Also easycert for testing software, can have PC or mobile version and can buy additional licences, also has a cloud sharing function so can upload certs between devices very easily.

Do the megger 1700 series still just display 0.00 ohms even if the leads are over nulled or do they display a negative like the 1500 series do

Just got my Megger 1552 back from calibration. Quite a few of the applied test values and what the MFT actually recorded were 100% accurate. I think that's excellent for a well used machine that is 7 years old. Instills confidence to know it's accuracy is as such. So I would wholly recommend Megger.

Not sure about automatic download of results to forms, but if you are doing a lot of EICRs then it would be very useful to have.

I wasn't going to suggest Megger, cos on other similar threads they don't appear to be the favorite flavour, but another vote from me, I have the 1730. OP as you suggested DO NOT buy the Megger Powersuite software. The tech support for it only lasts 30 days, and it ties you into Megger software, as other people can only read electronically if they have the software to, and it's ridiculously expensive. And it is quite frankly rubbish anyway.

I don't think you'll find any device that will download it's readings to other 3rd party software, the Megger won't.

I wasn't going to suggest Megger, cos on other similar threads they don't appear to be the favorite flavour, but another vote from me, I have the 1730. OP as you suggested DO NOT buy the Megger Powersuite software. The tech support for it only lasts 30 days, and it ties you into Megger software, as other people can only read electronically if they have the software to, and it's ridiculously expensive. And it is quite frankly rubbish anyway.

I don't think you'll find any device that will download it's readings to other 3rd party software, the Megger won't.

I agree.
Personally I find it quicker to put it into software for laptop or iPad anyway.
If you are doing commercial EICRs and other work amtech over anything else.
I've tried them all after asking opinions on here.
Yes it is more money a year, but the extra functions and reports you can print have won me a fair few remedial jobs over competitors who where the same price.if I'm honest the amtech advert will sell it to any tradesman lol.

http://youtu.be/MqQOdzzKiJo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your advice. The results show megger as a clear winner though I really want to go MFT over seperates so its looking like the 1720 will be the way we go. I particularly like Billy10's suggestion of the Easy Cert Suite over cloud which is something I will be investigating further.

Once again thanke for the help.

Reply to New Multi Function Tester in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock