Discuss New Offshore Renewable Energy Wind Farms Announced in UK in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Lou

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
The government have today announced new wind farms in the UK at the lowest prices yet.

The farms will power around 7 million homes by 2025 and offers investors in the wind farms the lowest prices so far at £39.65 per megawatt per hour.

For comparison the new nuclear power station set to open in Somerset in 2025 will cost £92.50 per megawatt per hour

Nuclear is not the answer both environmentally or financially.

I knew the nuclear kwh was going to be pricey, I didn’t think it was going to be that pricey. Nearly 2 n half times.

In 50 years time when the life of the plant is over it will take a further 50,000 years for the half life of the contaminated material to get to a safe level.

Absolute nuts.

It would be more financially viable to stop production on the plant now even after what has be3n spent up TIL now.

I don't like nuclear either... but the fact remains; we need electricity !!

My preferred solution of a national population cull to reduce demand is considered impractical for some reason...

I don't like nuclear either... but the fact remains; we need electricity !!

My preferred solution of a national population cull to reduce demand is considered impractical for some reason...
I’m with you and Richard Attenborough on the population crisis.

Less people means less demand for food and energy thus reducing the impact we are having on the natural world.

As for the fact we do need electricity.
There is enough potential energy in tidal around Britain alone to power the whole planet, but the so called Green Party and environmentalists won’t allow tidal barriers around the coast due to the impact on wildlife.

Yes there will be an impact on wildlife but the impact is going to be even greater if we keep burning fossil fuels and building nuclear stations even to the very wildlife they are protecting around the coast.

If they never move forward, the impact on us and the animals will be that we all end up extinct!! There are protests today around the world about climate change but then you have got people like Trump, president of a country with a carbon footprint the size of a giants boot saying that climate change does not exist!

As for the tidal barriers (thanks for the wording there pete) I thought we hardly had any fish because the EU stole them all, but that in a conversation for another time!!

I’m with you and Richard Attenborough on the population crisis.

Less people means less demand for food and energy thus reducing the impact we are having on the natural world.

As for the fact we do need electricity.
There is enough potential energy in tidal around Britain alone to power the whole planet, but the so called Green Party and environmentalists won’t allow tidal barriers around the coast due to the impact on wildlife.

Yes there will be an impact on wildlife but the impact is going to be even greater if we keep burning fossil fuels and building nuclear stations even to the very wildlife they are protecting around the coast.
What gets my goat... it's the kids that are the most profligate users of the worlds resources... leaving taps running when brushing teeth, leaving all the lights on, buying a new top and wear it once then throw it away, buying bottled water, everything in hermetically sealed plastic... the list goes on and on... And then they have the gall to demonstrate about it !!! The words Clueless, Thick and Stupid spring to mind...
[automerge]1568992545[/automerge]
... but then you have got people like Trump, president of a country with a carbon footprint the size of a giants boot saying that climate change does not exist!...
Well... that's in interesting topic... I read something the other week that suggested that the Earth is getting warmer because we've moved slightly closer to the Sun... there's valid data and argument for all sorts of viewpoints... Personally, I declare that I simply don't know !
Of all the possible reasons... the only one we can do anything about is the one blaming human habitation... so that's the one I'd like to reduce.

Last edited:
The shops are to blame too, there so much unnecessary packaging it's beyond a joke. Did you know you can't recycle black plastic that meat and stuff comes in?

Kebab shops and high street takeaways are bad too. Still using those polystyrene boxes that the big chains got rid of years ago.

And Amazon! Sending things I've ordered at the same time in different oversized boxes. Why can't they just use one that is the correct size for all. Even better, just stick a label on the box of the item.

Oh no, I'm starting to rant.

The shops are to blame too, there so much unnecessary packaging it's beyond a joke. Did you know you can't recycle black plastic that meat and stuff comes in?

Kebab shops and high street takeaways are bad too. Still using those polystyrene boxes that the big chains got rid of years ago.

And Amazon! Sending things I've ordered at the same time in different oversized boxes. Why can't they just use one that is the correct size for all. Even better, just stick a label on the box of the item.

Oh no, I'm starting to rant.

Stop buying processed food, no more black containers.

Stop buying take aways, cook your meal, and not a processed one.

Stop buying products online. Close down the internet :)

There's 2 choices for the future along with wind.
Either there is some Nuclear, to cope with sudden demands and days with little or no wind.
OR everyone will have to accept a managed supply, where in times of high demand power is cut to households in certain areas, much like in the miners strike.

It’ll be alright; when we stop driving vehicles fuelled by fossil fuels and switched to ev cars, we won’t be contributing to all those noxious gases.

It’ll be alright; when we stop driving vehicles fuelled by fossil fuels and switched to ev cars, we won’t be contributing to all those noxious gases.
But how will the electric be made to charge them?
[automerge]1568997552[/automerge]
Stop buying processed food, no more black containers.

Some meat comes in black plastic like mince

But how will the electric be made to charge them?
[automerge]1568997552[/automerge]

Some meat comes in black plastic like mince
Mince is processed.....?

The black plastic thing was about the tech used to sort it,
(the internet is so well aware - that when they can .. We will still have the old Rumour -"It's a waste of time conspiracy-Stuck in our heads" NET-washed )
..By then will there be any water left to wash plastic !..
(mmmm ..Mince leave my Spag bol ingredients alone )

the 5p charge on plastic carrier bags has reduced their use by 85%. a step forward. BK are stopping making plastic toys with kids meals. McD. will soon follow. it's now down to pressurise the big concerns into cutting down on all the unnecessary packaging. and educating the masses into recycling, and applying heavy fines for dumping ( e.g.1 crisp packet out of car window = £50 spot fine if caught), and I'll promise not to chuck my smoke ends out at the traffic lights.

I remember that about black plastic. It doesn’t get recycled because the sorting technology uses a laser or something and just doesn’t see it.

Why do packaging still use polystyrene when moulded cardboard can be used?

I don’t mind amazon or Screwfix delivering in oversized cardboard boxes, as they get used another few times by me, and are readily recyclable...

When are we going to start moving rubbish onto the moon?
Or dumping it down an active volcano and letting the earths own furnaces incinerate it?

Reply to New Offshore Renewable Energy Wind Farms Announced in UK in the Green Energy Forums | Green Energy Hub area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock