Discuss New old boy! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, joined the forum as I have been in the industry for 55 years, and this sort of thing wasn't available then (neither were desk-top computers), I am registered with Stroma at present having been with NICEIC and NAPIT when I stared doing domestic work in 1995. Up to then I had been a free-lance contractor in commercial and industrial work, or on a drawing board/authoring.

I don't like the way things are shaping up with regard to authorising organisations, and we ALL need to keep an eye on this as I can see there just being one highly priced organisation being in existence in the end. This would lead to more guys not joining and the standards declining as a result of no assessments being undertaken----until someone starts up an authorising body recognised officially----and then???

Hi, joined the forum as I have been in the industry for 55 years, and this sort of thing wasn't available then (neither were desk-top computers), I am registered with Stroma at present having been with NICEIC and NAPIT when I stared doing domestic work in 1995. Up to then I had been a free-lance contractor in commercial and industrial work, or on a drawing board/authoring.

I don't like the way things are shaping up with regard to authorising organisations, and we ALL need to keep an eye on this as I can see there just being one highly priced organisation being in existence in the end. This would lead to more guys not joining and the standards declining as a result of no assessments being undertaken----until someone starts up an authorising body recognised officially----and then???

Welcome to the forum Vintageleccy.:)

This post from Lister 1987 provides a good answer to your question, "And then?"
They should just turn the whole Electrical profession on its head and adopt a scheme similar to driving licensing. You'll do BS7671 as a base requirement, then do additionals for fire alarms, emergency lighting etc.

Punishment for non licensed work (i.e cowboys) would be substantial jail time. Question of policing it will obviously come up and batted to LABC and local FRS.

It's not an overnight fix but it's a start.

Although I passionately believe that SELECT's campaign for protection of title being given to Scottish electricians is a step in the direction and will go a long away to dealing with the sad state of affairs that presently exist north of the border whereby anyone can call themselves an electrician and then proceed to carry-out electrical installation work, I do, however, favour adaptation of the Western Australian model.

It's quite simple really ..... if you're not a licenced electrician, you commit a imprisonable criminal offence if you carry-out electrical installation work. I'm reliably informed that the WA model works very well, and if works down under then I see no reason why the same approach couldn't work up here. Indeed, we should follow the example set by the Irish authorities. The sooner the better methinks.

Thanks for your welcomes; I've never been on a forum before, so if i get it wrong don't kick me TOO hard! I agree the Australian system is a good one, Switzerland have similar (as I expect other countries do as well) I was offered a job by Lake Lucerne by a UK client, but couldn't (and wouldn't) accept because of the legislation.

The gas industry is fully licenced (I had a commercial/industrial ticket at one time), and is regulated so as to be virtually 'bullet proof'. Why? because at Ronan Point back in the 60's, a corner was blown off a tower block and the insurance companies took a hammering. It is a sad fact of life that something like that has to happen before anything coherant and binding is legislated. I will now get off my soapbox!

Welcome. I see that you are with Stroma, but you'll be back with NAPIT with them having bought the certification side of Stroma a couple of days ago!

The whole CPS model has been a disaster and, if there is to be one, the government should have gone for a single body ala Corgi/GasSafe back in 2005 and then everybody, including the customers, would have understood it.

I expect competition legislation may get in the way of a single body (why is there only one Competition and Markets Authority?)

Plenty of time for things to change again. But welcome again, enjoy!

Welcome old timer

Hi Lou, sorry about delay in replying to your question, but had problems with Adblock+ and the software on this site.

I'm based in High Wycombe, but have worked over a good 'lump' of the country at one time or another. I'm just doing EICR's and 3rd party inspections as I have health problems. This keeps the old grey matter ticking over, and yes, I did pass my C & G 18th last November.

I used to do investigative works and trouble-shooting, and this took me as far north as Pitlochry, Darsham (east), Saundersfoot (west) and The New Forest (south). I was swimming pool plant qualified and gave a lecture on the introduction of 17th edition to the ISPE (I was a member) and loved the look of horror on delegates faces when I asked who carried out preliminary inspections to 7671, reg. 132-16!!

Reply to New old boy! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock