Discuss New outdoor socket. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been asked to wire up a new outdoor socket. There already is one about 15metres away from the proposed new one. Which would be better to pick up of. The existing outdoor one or a socket from inside the house?

you will need to check and see if the other outside socket is a spur from the ring then you can't come from it. probably best to spur from ring near where you want the new one. or a new circuit.

your not wrong there pal. So how would i check if its on a ring or radial i only have a mains tester and socket tester. If it was on a ring would i have to use 2 cables?

Simo, if you only have a mains tester & a socket tester then you cannot undertake the work as you will not be able to carryout the required tests pre work and on completion

I had the same problem on a PIR the outside socket was tapped off the ring (16th) and it worked out cheaper to fit a RCBO for the whole ring rather than change to outside socket to a RCD version customer was well pleased as he got the whole ring plus external covered with a safety breaker

not bad idea although any existing problems with the ring could cause some trouble

Yep that could happen but remember I did a PIR on the whole house and then discovered ther was an outside socket so the circuit was as clear as a bell. Also work was done 4-5 years ago to the 16th.

Reply to New outdoor socket. in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Evening everyone . Currently looking at pricing a job up . It’s a hot tub supply . Outside socket with a few spare ways in an outdoor cu . 10mm...
Replies
Views
Hi, i live in a new build house where they builders have left a junction box on the outside of my house. In the junction box there is a 6mm twin...
Replies
Views
We have an outdoor socket that is hard wired into the ground floor power circuit and protected with an rcd in the consumer unit. I now plan to add...
Replies
Views
Evening Gents just after a bit of advice and what would you do differently. I have wired up 3 kw heaters in 4mm tuff cable (40 meter distance...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Posted on here a couple of years ago and got great advice. Have been self employed a couple of years now and always find pricing work the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock