Discuss New outlet next to main panel (CU in UK) - to spur or use new breaker? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

Probably easiest to understand from looking at the attached picture.

I'd like a new socket right next to the main panel in the basement [red box in photo].

It'll power my router, and maybe a battery charger for power tools, etc.

The closest socket is for the washer [blue box]. This isn't a GFCI socket atm (it's old). 15W.

Could someone please help me decide:

1) Put in a new 15W breaker, GFCI socket [red box] and run [yellow line].

2) Run [green line] as a spur to normal socket at [red box].

3) Upgrade [blue box] to GFCI socket and run spur [green line].

4) Something else...

Many thanks in advance for any input

Will

Attachments

• 20191218_155421.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 15
Hi guys

Probably easiest to understand from looking at the attached picture.

I'd like a new socket right next to the main panel in the basement [red box in photo].

It'll power my router, and maybe a battery charger for power tools, etc.

The closest socket is for the washer [blue box]. This isn't a GFCI socket atm (it's old). 15W.

Could someone please help me decide:

1) Put in a new 15W breaker, GFCI socket [red box] and run [yellow line].

2) Run [green line] as a spur to normal socket at [red box].

3) Upgrade [blue box] to GFCI socket and run spur [green line].

4) Something else...

Many thanks in advance for any input

Will
Will it’s kind of hard to understand what you are talking about when you talk about boxes. The best I can understand you want to add one 120vac 15 amp receptacle and it does have to be a GFCI receptacle

Will it’s kind of hard to understand what you are talking about when you talk about boxes. The best I can understand you want to add one 120vac 15 amp receptacle and it does have to be a GFCI receptacle

MW, the boxes are the hand drawn ones on his diagram.

Reply to New outlet next to main panel (CU in UK) - to spur or use new breaker? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net