Discuss New outside security light in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

KeithC

-
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm planning to install a new security light to my Dad's place. Is it ok to spur of a socket for this? I intend to come out of the back of the socket, out through the wall in 2.5 singles run in plastic conduit to a wiska box then 2.5 flex to the light. As I'm not going down to 1.5 I assume it doesn't need fusing down?

Cheers,

Keith.

Is there a good reason you don't want to fuse it down via a spur.

So if you ever need to work on it again I suppose the challenge of doing live, espicially if it is in the rain will add that extra dimension of excitement, or turning off the whole ring final circuit to everyones annoyment in the house.

Technically in the appendix an unfused spur should be terminated into a socket outlet and so though I doubt it is against the regs to do what you propose, though I would say that reg 134.1.1 might be a consideration.

As this is an outside light you would have to notify this as such for Part P, also as your extending an existing circuit you will need to complete a MEIWC. Do a good job and fit it via FCU.

Switched FCU to 3 amps mate then out through the wall. Why all this use of singles throught the wall, no good unless in conduit all the way.

2.5mm flex to an outside light, you'll never get that into the grommit on the light, too big

3A SWitched FCU, then 1mm or thereabouts flex to fitting. DIY job - 3A fused plug top, flex to fitting.plug into socket. no part poo.

Thanks. Glad I asked. I work in commercial hence the freebie singles :)
I've not done any domestic except in my own house, the metal clad accessories look a treat and the lounge looks amazing at Christmas with the tinsel hanging from the tray.:D
I was going to run the light through an IP66 external switch but now I'm going to use one of these,
Lewden IP66 Watertight Switched Spur Unit
And instead of taking the conduit through the wall into the back of the socket I'll stump up for some T&E.
Might even file a building notice with the local planning dept.;)

Thanks. Glad I asked. I work in commercial hence the freebie singles :)
I've not done any domestic except in my own house, the metal clad accessories look a treat and the lounge looks amazing at Christmas with the tinsel hanging from the tray.:D
I was going to run the light through an IP66 external switch but now I'm going to use one of these,
Lewden IP66 Watertight Switched Spur Unit
And instead of taking the conduit through the wall into the back of the socket I'll stump up for some T&E.
Might even file a building notice with the local planning dept.;)

Ha ha ha thats just cracked me up!!

But alas no id say a outside light backed by a 32A breaker is not the best of ideas

so, no part poo, excellent advice on how to do or not to do. what's your job for tomorrow?

Im sure I read somewhere once that if the outside light is attached to the wall of the house, then the job is not notifiable ???
Correct me if im wrong.

fitting of fixed equipment outdoors does not require rcd protection but cables probally would still need it, one of the many head scratching factors :)

Reply to New outside security light in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net