Discuss New supply to garage. DNO have not fitted fuse. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My customer has had a completely new supply installed to his garage. The DNO has not put a fuse in the cut out though. I'm guessing he needs to contact the DNO to discuss? I realise it would be very easy to pop a fuse in, but apart from this not being allowed, I also wouldn't know the size of the supply cable and therefore have no way of knowing which size fuse is safe.

Is it usual for the DNO to leave the fuse out?

Also, they have not put a meter in. I realise the meter is the domain of the electricity supplier, but I thought with a new supply the DNO fit one. Have I got this wrong? If so, does the customer simply choose a supplier and then they fit a meter? (Meaning the supplier has to enter the cut out)

lastly, it is PME. No earth cable has been terminated into the cutout. Is this something the DNO should have done (and perhaps left in an earth block). Not sure how else I am going to get the earth installed, without removing the fuse to get to the earth terminal.

Thanks all.

Western Power don't fit the meters for our new supplies, it's down to the provider. They have always left the fuses in though. They also make a note of the Ze and mark up rotation if it's three phase.

For the earth there is normally a blind gromit on the right hand side of the cut out you can pull out to access the neautral/earth block.

Western Power don't fit the meters for our new supplies, it's down to the provider. They have always left the fuses in though. They also make a note of the Ze and mark up rotation if it's three phase.

For the earth there is normally a blind gromit on the right hand side of the cut out you can pull out to access the neautral/earth block.
Thanks David,

Looks like it's just the fuse part that is a little unusual then. I'll ask him to contact DNO to get fuse fitted (and seals installed!)

I forgot about the grommet. I'm still thinking of the slightly older cutouts where you had to remove the fuse in order to get to a screw to remove the cover... in order to get to the earth terminals. You're quite right, there is a grommet (see pic).

Cutout.jpg

One last thing.. Does the 100A written on the cutout relate to the max rating of the cutout (like an RCD) or the fuse size?

The reason I ask is because I have always thought it relates to the fuse size, because directly below it states Type IIb which is the model of the fuse. However, if they haven't even put a fuse in, perhaps it is a max rating?

One last thing.. Does the 100A written on the cutout relate to the max rating of the cutout (like an RCD) or the fuse size?

The reason I ask is because I have always thought it relates to the fuse size, because directly below it states Type IIb which is the model of the fuse. However, if they haven't even put a fuse in, perhaps it is a max rating?
Do you know what customer requested / ordered?
As you say, the labelling can't be relied upon.

WPD should put the correct sticker on the holder when they fit the fuse.

I wouldn't have put a fuse in either, not with having no meter or CU.

Reply to New supply to garage. DNO have not fitted fuse. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net