Discuss New to forum, Is it just me!! how have I got Voltage?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Digi19

-
Reaction score
Hello guys, been a voyeur of the forum for some time, just taken a u turn in career later on in life than I should, been out and done my testing and inspection and looking to join a CPS!

Iam hoping "its just me" what am i missing? Ive never seen this before!

So I'am doing a Ze at home, first time after completing my inspect and testing in order to use in preparation as part of my acceptance to a CPS. Disconnected main earth and clamped on, for some reason clamped on to the Neutral bar and not the top of the main switch and probed line in on top of main switch did the test and got a result, its at that point I'am thinking hang on how have i got a result using the Neutral bar when the main switch is off, so tested for dead between line in at the top of the main switch and the Neutral and MET with switch off and main earth disconnected and got 240v on both, so I'am then thinking fault on the neutral side of the main switch so disconnected the outgoing neutral completely from the main switch and still getting 240v top of the switch supply to Neutral Bar and to MET.

So then i disconnect all circuits, put the main earth back and the Nuetral as if it was an installation without circuits, 0v measured, so then start to add the circuits back to the board and test as before and then getting 240v potential from top of main switch to individual circuits. How?? all the time main switch off.

There is nothing else to suggest issues, its only clamping onto the Neutral Bar as part of the Ze I have discovered this.

I guess my question is how the heck can i have a 240v reading from main line in to the installation with the main earth and the Neutral disconnected how is adding circuits introducing potential. I'am lost on what to do.

Advise greatly appreciated

Cheers

Digi19

Welcome to the forum :)

With the main switch off, have you tested for continuity between the two sets of contacts? i.e. have you checked for the correct operation of the main switch? Could be the line contacts are stuck.

Do you have a solar system? If you do, was it isolated when doing the testing?

Wow, cheers Sparky chick for such a quick response, no other supply sources and switch operation OK and operates correctly.

Cheers

Digi 19

So to confirm... your readings...

Incoming L - Earth bar (with main earth disconnected) = 240v
Incoming L - Neutral bar (with neutral disconnected) = 240v

Providing you're bonding is good, then I would expect to see near full supply voltage between the incomer and the earth bar regardless of the state of the main earth.

I can't comment on the neutral, but it could be leakage through devices to earth.

So to confirm... your readings...

Incoming L - Earth bar (with main earth disconnected) = 240v
Incoming L - Neutral bar (with neutral disconnected) = 240v

I read the O.P as with NO circuits connected then 0volt .
Is the voltage only present with circuits connected to the Neutral bar?
If so can you narrow it down to a single circuit and investigate?

Providing you're bonding is good, then I would expect to see near full supply voltage between the incomer and the earth bar regardless of the state of the main earth.

I can't comment on the neutral, but it could be leakage through devices to earth.

Thanks Snowhead if I disconnect individual circuits, I get voltages from the neutral of the circuit to incomming (L) , I will test tommorow for clearer info. As per the comments

Reply to New to forum, Is it just me!! how have I got Voltage?? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock