Discuss New to the forum, 100a main switch problem in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just dropping in first time on this forum, currently in my last year at college studying electrical installation.

I have a quick question for anyone who maybe able to help. I have installed a consumer unit today at a new house I have bought, modified the exsisting ring a added 2 new circuits. Anyway to cut a long story short when I was changing the cu today the old board main switch was L N the new board main switch is now N L, my problem is I am struggling to get the L to the right side of the switch ( if that makes sense ) it’s a tad to short, now without buying new tails I noticed the new 100a main switch doesn’t state which way the L N enter it other than the way it’s configured on the load side at the bottom, now i rejigged the load side today so there was no cross polarity etc anywhere and it all works fine but it’s in the back of my mind whether I should change it back? Do these 100a main Schneider switches have anything inside them which may blow or break because I’ve swapped them or literally does it just travel straight through and doesn’t really matter which way it is as long as it meet the correct L N on the load side?

Thanks in advance for the help

A picture of how you have reconfigured may yield a more informed answer.

Some switches do have clear indication of the line/neutral and in those cases it's probably advisable to stick with the marking as it may be the line/neutral contacts are engaged/disengaged in a specific order (typically neutral is made first and broken last).

I might be inclined to have a look at the Schneider website and check.

Hi,and perhaps you have learnt a valuable lesson,regarding starting a task of this nature,without a couple of basic bits,to hand.

I’ll be sure to get a picture.....Midwest what kind of answer is that? Double pole switch regardless of poles which means what exactly???? PEG I have changed plenty of CU’s I knew what it consisted off :) thanks for your advice

Hi - I'm just wondering given that you have reversed the L and N tail positions in the switch - how is that accounted for with the busbar? A pic would be nice :)

Do this once you will do it again, it is not a professional way to go about things.

Hence the reason I am here asking the right questions. The switch does not state which way the L and N should enter the switch! So if you ordered a new switch or parts separately how would you know which way to enter it????? There is nothing unprofessional about it

You must have doctored the outgoing side of the switch which would not be approved by the manufacturer and would void any warranty.

Hence the reason I am here asking the right questions. The switch does not state which way the L and N should enter the switch! So if you ordered a new switch or parts separately how would you know which way to enter it????? There is nothing unprofessional about it
It is unprofessional, why be tight with money for new tails after spending money on a new board. Do it right first time round

I tell ya what then? This forum can go and **** itself! I asked a simple question, and got mocked, it’s no wonder so many ---- in this industry with people like you’s!

Enjoy your ****in Sunday

I could retort by saying that:
If it's a simple question, why don't you know it?
There are ---- in the industry, like people who fit a new CU without making sure the tails are long enough or not fitting an isolator.

Reply to New to the forum, 100a main switch problem in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net