Discuss New to UK. Wanted to become an electrician. What is the best path? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I want to change careers used to run bars and nightclubs in USA, got older and now need a career change. I am new to London and am interested in becoming an electrician. I have no experience and no qualifications. I am also 38. I know that I am extremely late to the party.

I have been trying to find the best course of action to take to build a good career. So much muddled information it can be confusing. I called two training schools as there were the first things I came across on my search. I was hoping it was similar to a trade school (USA) but "8 weeks of courses and then you are on your way" im skeptical of this sales pitch and its far from cheap.

What are my options at my age? I am willing to start at bottom and over the next few years start to earn a decent wage. I know that is about 5 years off for me to have the knowledge to back up the fast-tracked qualifications. I am looking for advice on how to get from where i am to becoming an actual electrician.

Are training schools useful? The price is high but I am willing to eat that cost if it allows me to be able to progress. How does the college route work and how long is that timeline. What do people who are of the older category due when starting from scratch?

I m open to any recommendations for training centers or college programs.

Or is it in my best interest to just get a cscs green card and work my way up through that path (if it is one)

Sorry for the clueless post but I am new to the country and have no idea how the system works here?

first get a cscs card and then blag your way as a sparks mate, maybe through agency. then look at the college course night school options, 2 evenings a week over 2-3 years. level 2 and 3 of g&g 2356. then on to am2 and nvq to be fully qualified.
the 8 week courses are only for domestic installers, or house bashers as we say over here.

first get a cscs card and then blag your way as a sparks mate, maybe through agency. then look at the college course night school options, 2 evenings a week over 2-3 years. level 2 and 3 of g&g 2356. then on to am2 and nvq to be fully qualified.
the 8 week courses are only for domestic installers, or house bashers as we say over here.

Thanks for the input. I had a feeling that the expedited route was not that accepted by the people in the actual trade. The sales people have all the answers of course but i have done that job so i understand.

AS far as college course is the 2-3 years I think i can handle but is there a way to speed that up to 2 years instead of 3.

Appreciate the advice.

Thanks for the input. I had a feeling that the expedited route was not that accepted by the people in the actual trade. The sales people have all the answers of course but i have done that job so i understand.

AS far as college course is the 2-3 years I think i can handle but is there a way to speed that up to 2 years instead of 3.

Appreciate the advice.
you'd need to contact the college. it can be done. college is theory. you need the practical experience of working to complement that.

Reply to New to UK. Wanted to become an electrician. What is the best path? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net