Discuss New Trades Career in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Don't apologise for not pulling any punches! Thats the info that is the most valuable.
Yeah, was expecting to be eating through my savings for the first 3 years, but got to accept that to get where I want to.
Which courses did you do initially? I have been looking at the Electrical Installation levels 1 and 2 diplomas and guess if the 18th Edition isnt part of that I would need that too. Would I also need the NVQ Level 3 in Electrotechnical Services with the AM2 Assessment as a domestic installer, or is that for if you are going into the commercial side?
Hoping that my age wont be a massive problem. May be an advantage in terms of getting some hands on experience if I ask all the local firms if I can shadow someone, hopefully more likely to think that I am going to turn up everyday and want to be there.
Sorry to be asking more questions, just want to make sure I begin on the correct path.
Thanks to everyone who replied
Spot on that’s the courses you need to do, but check with registration bodies first as things change constantly and there are changes happening now in regard to domestic electricians.

sorry I don’t know the details.

edit: sorry just noticed dont bother with the level 1. Jump straight to the level 2.

There is nothing stopping you working anywhere anyhow you like, with no qualifications. You don't 'need' any of them to work for yourself especially. You don't need them to work for someone else but they often demand them.

The 'fully qualified' thing isn't real, but the standard 'full set' i guess you could call it would be:

Level 3 qualification
NVQ3
AM2
18th Edition
Testing and Inspection

That would be the minimum someone would usually expect for you to go earn 'time served' rates on site although not always. Again, you can work quite fine with all, some, or none of the above.

Really to feel comfortable and to actually know what you're doing you need experience and it can't be bought or rushed. I'd concentrate on getting work alongside someone.
You should write a short article for the forum with what you have just written. This needs to be the standard reply to the hundreds of (if not thousands) of questions about this. Inbox me if you want concert this to an article in the news area.

Spot on that’s the courses you need to do, but check with registration bodies first as things change constantly and there are changes happening now in regard to domestic electricians.

sorry I don’t know the details.

edit: sorry just noticed dont bother with the level 1. Jump straight to the level 2.
Thanks Pete, yeah have just spoken to a tutor at a local college and he says I can just jump straight in at level 2. From the sounds of it level 1 is just to help people with basic maths and get their writing skills up to scratch, and to weed out the dossers! Had a few promising phone calls with fairly local electrical firms regarding apprenticeships and shadowing so hopefully the path may be becoming clearer. Thanks

Thanks Pete, yeah have just spoken to a tutor at a local college and he says I can just jump straight in at level 2. From the sounds of it level 1 is just to help people with basic maths and get their writing skills up to scratch, and to weed out the dossers! Had a few promising phone calls with fairly local electrical firms regarding apprenticeships and shadowing so hopefully the path may be becoming clearer. Thanks
That sounds brilliant. I wont wish you luck. By sounds of it you don’t need it.

I've got a massive wake-up call 2 weeks ago when i got this screen you see attached here. At any point whatsoever crossed my mind that my course will expire before i finish it. It was sold to me as 'learn at your peace when you can'. It did take longer than my initial plans to finish it in 2 years.View attachment 83523

However 2 weeks ago when i was denied access to a my account and to a live training, I've phoned the 'tutors team' and I've been sent to call administration office. From there I've got a text message link to a webpage where to request an extension. On a third call I've been 'advised' it will take 10 working days...

Wednesday evening I've found a letter when i got home asking for £400 bank transfer. Thursday i was completely depressed could not even tell my family about this issue. Yesterday i was busy with work. I will get in contact with whomever they are on this Monday.

I'm not slagging anyone here and I'm not complaining either. Pure statement of my ongoing experience.

I must point out that out there are many other experiences very similar to mine and reviews and feedbacks are very very worryingly, as in this: quote: "I've paid £7k for 3 textbooks" and many more.

I did not come to complain here. I've had a few comments on this thread many months ago, I've added couple of lines 2 weeks following that i would come back and share my experience once solved either way. Since yesterday this thread simply got inflamed by very positive feedbacks. Mine is not positive at this very moment at all tho
there are many in the same boat, let us form a group and see how we can take them to court and teach a lesson to these fraudsters.

Reply to New Trades Career in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net