Discuss New Transformer For Lamp in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I need help in replacing the transformer on my favourite 😍 lamp…..it just doesn’t stay on for very long anymore ☹️

Would I be ok with a 2 amp as I can’t find a 1.66 amp? Need to wire it in to the on/off switch on the lamp rather than female/male adapters???

Any help/advice greatly appreciated ---

Attachments

• 9E866C3F-5467-485A-AF39-811002BD3577.jpeg
    429.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 7CC0A43F-9707-431C-BE82-1E935EE0FA0C.jpeg
    555 KB · Views: 17
  • B0949073-3D61-4CCF-956B-9E1E7B742E5B.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 15
  • D54EC918-72E3-4B94-9B5A-4B092261FF05.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 14
  • 0D0FBB50-518F-4710-ACE0-D9D87538A820.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 16
No problem at all. The new Tx will just have a slightly easier life than the original.
As long as there are no complications, like dimmers, involved, I'd consider changing that halogen lamp for a LED equivalent. Upward facing halogen lamps can be a serious fire risk if any flammable debris ends up on them, such as a ball of paper being thrown around the room, and scoring a direct hit.

Is the halogen bulb in the fitting still a 20Watt type?
I just wondered if the bulb had been replaced with a higher wattage, then the transformer overcurrent protection would be turning it off?

And if you do still have a 20W (or lower) bulb in it, and you do need to replace the transformer, buy an adapter that actually is a "transformer", ie with an AC output, not a "power adapter" with a DC output.

Last edited:
Is the halogen bulb in the fitting still a 20Watt type?
I just wondered if the bulb had been replaced with a higher wattage, then the transformer overcurrent protection would be turning it off?

And if you do still have a 20W (or lower) bulb in it, and you do need to replace the transformer, buy an adapter that actually is a "transformer", ie with an AC output, not a "power adapter" with a DC output.
Hi thank you I didn’t realise this made a difference, I’ve just checked my bulbs and it appears I bought 50 watt new ones! I had one 20 watt one left so I’ve just popped that in……

Fingers crossed 🤞 it’s already lasted longer on……and still on 👍

Thank you x

Hi thank you I didn’t realise this made a difference, I’ve just checked my bulbs and it appears I bought 50 watt new ones! I had one 20 watt one left so I’ve just popped that in……

Fingers crossed 🤞 it’s already lasted longer on……and still on 👍

Thank you x
Your 50W bulbs are a big overload for the transformer. It's rated for 20W max. Hopefully your swap back will solve the problem.
As per brianmoooore's comment above, would be best to replace it with a 12V ac LED MR16
PS An LED marketed as "50 Watt equivalent" would be fine.

Your 50W bulbs are a big overload for the transformer. It's rated for 20W max. Hopefully your swap back will solve the problem.
As per brianmoooore's comment above, would be best to replace it with a 12V ac LED MR16
I wouldn’t know where to begin converting it but you are both right it needs an upgrade the coating on the wires near the plug become exposed and I’ve had to tape them apart so it’s not ideal. I’ll enjoy it again briefly before getting someone who knows what they are doing to convert it……guessing I’ll have to replace the inners/connections on the lamp as well as the transformer which to be honest is bloody heavy….bit like the old brick mobiles 🤣

My comment about fire risk still applies! You can fit a brighter lamp as well.
Halogen lamps really should be consigned to a museum exhibit.
My comment about fire risk still applies! You can fit a brighter lamp as well.
Halogen lamps really should be consigned to a museum exhibit.
You and Avo Mk8 are both right it seriously needs an upgrade…..I’ve had it for many years! I love the light it emits and I simply can’t part with it…I always put it on a protective mat as it does get hot! I’m guessing the upgrade will solve that worry too. 👍

Ok I’m such a ditz….just looked at bulbs…..just replace the halogen and it will work the same I’m guessing 👍

Reply to New Transformer For Lamp in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net