Discuss Newbie advice needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Good morning folks.

Newbie to the trade and got myself my first install. Just wanted to know if this is fine as per customer requirements.

Customer wants a 2 gang socket in a summer house for table lights etc. Also wants a outdoor 2 gang socket for led net lights rated at 5 watts.

Plan is to spur a socket inside property (already rcd protected from mains cu) closest to shed with 2.5mm t&e to a 13a sfu. Then 2.5mm swa to shed into garage cu 40a 30mA rcd 1 x 6a 1 x 32a mcb. Then 2.5mm swa (10meters) to the garden house 2 gang socket rang from the 32a mcb (May lower to 16a) Also running a 1.5mm swa from gcu to outdoor sockets (20meters) which as previously stated will only be used for 5 watt led net lights ran from the 6a mcb.

Direct connection to house cu is on far side of property and keeping costs down for them.

Hope I have made sense and please don’t flame the newbie :)

Kind regards

Good morning folks.

Newbie to the trade and got myself my first install. Just wanted to know if this is fine as per customer requirements.

Customer wants a 2 gang socket in a summer house for table lights etc. Also wants a outdoor 2 gang socket for led net lights rated at 5 watts.

Plan is to spur a socket inside property (already rcd protected from mains cu) closest to shed with 2.5mm t&e to a 13a sfu. Then 2.5mm swa to shed into garage cu 40a 30mA rcd 1 x 6a 1 x 32a mcb. Then 2.5mm swa (10meters) to the garden house 2 gang socket rang from the 32a mcb (May lower to 16a) Also running a 1.5mm swa from gcu to outdoor sockets (20meters) which as previously stated will only be used for 5 watt led net lights ran from the 6a mcb.

Direct connection to house cu is on far side of property and keeping costs down for them.

Hope I have made sense and please don’t flame the newbie :)

Kind regards
So you are going to spur from the RFC in the house into a SFU, which has RCD protection, and feed into a Garage CU to another RCD feeding a 6A and a 32A cb yes? why ? when the entire installation you propose to do is limited by the 13A fuse in the SFU, makes no sense Mate, to be honest, Sorry.

So you are going to spur from the RFC in the house into a SFU, which has RCD protection, and feed into a Garage CU to another RCD feeding a 6A and a 32A cb yes? why ? when the entire installation you propose to do is limited by the 13A fuse in the SFU, makes no sense Mate, to be honest, Sorry.
Indeed it does. The customer requested it and already bought for me to install. However I will remove the SFU equation and continue with the Garage CU as previously discussed.

Hi Barrett’s,
Just looks at your quals. I think it’s great that you’ve come on year for advice before you proceed rather than just cracking on without any thought.

What you are proposing if I am understanding right is not the way to go. Without a site visit or a lot more precise information I cannot advise.
Also for the level of advice you will requir of a spark ( basically the full design) a spark would want to charge you a fee.

I think it may be a good idea to get in contact with an experienced spark who could mentor you on site for a small fee maybe. Maybe get him or her to design install and you do install. This way you would benefit from the experience.

Perhaps you could contact the college you did your part p for advice.

Good luck

Indeed it does. The customer requested it and already bought for me to install. However I will remove the SFU equation and continue with the Garage CU as previously discussed.
An unfused spur from an RFC can't be used to feed what you propose Mate, better option would be to run a new supply from the house.

The client, in this case has hired you for your services, he shouldn't be telling you how to do your job, might tell you what he want's but it's your job to advise and do the job safely, what you are proposing is not the correct way. Please, as others have said can you provide a drawing of your proposals, after all a picture paints a better idea of what is going on.

Hello guys, apologies for delay I am away caravanning in Margate so the signal is sporadic at best.

Have done a rough plan which I hope makes sense.

Thanks for all your responses.

Attachments

• Newbie advice needed D8FBC9D1-299E-47F9-A512-866780BEA5F0 - EletriciansForums.net
    D8FBC9D1-299E-47F9-A512-866780BEA5F0.jpeg
    914 KB · Views: 44
Hello guys, apologies for delay I am away caravanning in Margate so the signal is sporadic at best.

Have done a rough plan which I hope makes sense.

Thanks for all your responses.
Totally wrong in every way Barreoty. If you have a copy of BS7671 then I would advise you to read Appendix 15 regarding the methods and regulations on socket outlets an how to wire spurs. You need to arrange for a new supply from the house CU, and do the work safely and correct, the install you have described is a DIY bodge job, sorry for the bluntness of my reply, but you can't or shouldn't charge people for a job like that.

Last edited:
Ditch the consumer unit in the summer house it is not required. Spur from the ring final through a fuse connection unit then swa to summer house socket then onto the garden socket. It will be limited to 13A but this is probably fine, you just need to correctly size your cable for volt drop.

Ok thanks looks like I will be going straight from the house cu. This is what I was originally doing before the customer complained about me lifting up floor boards.
Are there any spare ways on the House CU? you will need to calculate the size of the cable to cope with VD and the expected load taking into account the length and installation method, as well as selecting the correct OCPD.

Hi Pete yes there are spare ways for the consumer unit.

Westward that also makes sense and would save a lot of labour hours lifting up boards etc. Just thought a garage cu for more protection even if it’s an overkill

Ditch the consumer unit in the summer house it is not required. Spur from the ring final through a fuse connection unit then swa to summer house socket then onto the garden socket. It will be limited to 13A but this is probably fine, you just need to correctly size your cable for volt drop.

In the OP's case this will also be preferable to running a new circuit from the house CU, as the latter would be notifiable.

Hi Barrett’s,
Just looks at your quals.

I think it may be a good idea to get in contact with an experienced spark who could mentor you on site for a small fee maybe. Maybe get him or her to design install and you do install. This way you would benefit from the experience.

Somewhat of a failing to understand the fundamentals of design & installation. And you are proposing to charge someone for this service.

@Barreoty take the good advice, and go and work for an experienced electrician or company,to gain some valuable experience. You are not at the point where you go carry out these installs on your own. Sorry to be harsh.

Reply to Newbie advice needed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock