Discuss Newbie here looking to go it alone in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You'll need a stack of cash to support you for at least a year.
You'll need a good few customers already in hand before you set out.

That's ignoring all the tools, van insurance etc.

Unless you fall lucky and obtain some useful contracts with the possibility of regular renewals,you will end up like most of us,that is obtaining work from word of mouth from customers recommending you to their contacts
The problem there is it can take a long period of time for that to become what you rely on
If you could mix some subbing work to go along with your own it makes the journey easier and the balance can be what you make it

My own advice is,after 10 years you should be well prepared skill wise to make a go of it and the only thing that should hold you back is if your expectations are that it is going to be a easier life
It takes hard work and dedication,but if you are prepared to apply yourself don't hang about waiting,make it happen

Matthew I wasn’t given a choice had 2 weeks notice to find another job on the cards or work for current contractor as a subbie. So had to get a van, insurance, Part P registration etc. Had work from the guy for a month or so then got a text saying there was no more work at this time. Luckily I have been able to keep going but only scratching a living on a day to day basis. Rather than sever your ties or burn your bridges i would get your own work in, talk with your current employer. Ask him direct that you need time off to do your own work and you like to give it a go setting up on your own, if you don’t go pinching his work would he have a problem offering you some subbing work till you get going.

Hi bud, cards in,subbing to contractors,and self-employed to the general public,are three entirely different jobs.

Des has given good advice,the most important bit,was at the end,where he said "make it happen".

That statement could sound glib,or over simplified...but it is true,and alludes to the fact,that to go on your own,you will need to "manufacture" your own luck,to some degree.

Maybe describe,what type of work you have undertaken,and who do you see,or want to see,as your customer base?

Welcome to the forum Matt!

I started up alone straight after qualifying due to the lack of work in normal employment, honestly it's tough out there!

I was very lucky to have a friend who was an established self-employed electrician. I was sub-contracted by him during his larger jobs, and he'd also pass me smaller jobs from time-to-time which I would work on alone.
Having a decent client-base is essential and hard to build, I couldn't have done it without this work my friend gave me.

If you have a good client-base (almost overwhelmed by people asking for private-work) then it's worth a shot. If not, change company and build it up.

Reply to Newbie here looking to go it alone in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net