Discuss Newbie here need help RE: electrical safety in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

alienware

hi guys, This is my first post here. I tried to post in the DIY section but some reason I can't add a thread there. I'm thinking about buying the smart glass film system which comes with a 12 to 110v convertor. My question is considering the circuit will be run off a 15000 mah 12v battery using a 12-110v convertor is it likely fatal if someone were to touch the 110 v wire. If it's highly dangerous I won't bother with it. But if it would most likely just give a small jolt and is relatively safe then i'll buy it. I've currently made heaps of circuits from 12v batteries which don't zap me but I've never jumped the voltage to 110v. I'm not using it near water but it is possible that I might accidently touch a live wire while setting it up / testing it. Thanks in advance. Mike.

Hi Mike.
There are loads of safety rules out there that we have to abide by, here in the UK. I'm sure you will have the same in Australia.
If you are designing this thing then design it so that you can't touch the 110V would be a first step.

spoon is right
generally stepping up an ac voltage drops the current inversely( stepping up the voltage times 10 will divide the current by 10)
with direct current it generally needs to be converted to ac, stepped up, and rectified to dc again
again the current will drop.
here is some info on inverters.
How an Inverter works. - Electronic Circuits and Diagram-Electronics Projects and Design.

even though current may be lower its still wise install guarding around any higher voltage (50 volts and above)

If this is a commercial SPD product, seek advice from the manufacturers about the correct installation method. They should have obtained safety approvals for the system, in which case provided you follow their instructions it will be safe.

Reply to Newbie here need help RE: electrical safety in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net