Discuss Newbie looking for information in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Tom and i am new here. I am not sure if this is correct place to ask this question so sorry if it is not. I am 28 years old and never worked as electrician and don't have any experience in any trade and never been on site but i am on college program to become electrician i already have level 2 diploma in electrical installations (building and structures) and currently i am half-way through Level 3. I also have CSCS card from yesterday. My question is what should i do to find employer, where should i look for it and if there is any chance for adult like me to find someone who would employ me to teach me trade?

I already start doubting that it is possible for me in this age and without experience to find someone and think about dropping off the course. I really like electrics always been little bit nerd guy.

Hello Tom

Welcome to the Forum,

Depending on your Studying if your evenings or day time I would suggest you look for Agency work offering work for Electrician's Mates, that would be a good start, also try contacting local Electrical Firms to see if they will take you on,

Remember be persistence and don't that NO for an Answer, your get remember that way.

Good Luck

As above, also I think either going in person or a phone call is better than a letter or email (which may get ignored or forgotten).
There's some lads at our place similar to yourself, who were took on as mates, and went to college on a night.
Good luck

Was speaking to a fellow spark today and hes just taken on a 22 year old apprentice who was working in the local wholesalers, the guy was doing a L3 2365 at college 2 days a week and when my mate went into the suppliers to get something the manager insisted it was the right and was okay part but the youngster said no and quoted the regs and why it wasnt... got round to asking why he knew etc and offered him work. reckons hes the best trainee hes ever had... this guy had been in a bot of bother as a teen and has knuckled down since so it shows it is always possible to get your foot through the door. just need to show the employer that you have something to give them.

Reply to Newbie looking for information in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net