Discuss Newbie looking to get into an electrical career in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi guys

I'm about to sign up to a few courses to be qualified to become a domestic installer. I am doing one of those crash courses. after passing would like some advice for my next step all being well that I pass that is?

Am I in a stronger position to be taken on as a mate or improver if I pass all that needed? certainly realise I wouldn't be ready to work on my own just from a electrical course overload although I do have experience fitting cctv ect.

Please don't post to knock doing a quick course, I realise I won't be an electrician or have the experience. researching seen alot of 'real' electritians advising how rubbish that route is or how it's taking work off real Leckies.

cheers

John

Nice to see you iave read and taken on board advice given to you regarding these course. Why not get a job now as a mate while doing or before you start the course so you have a better understanding once you get in th class room?

What do you want from being a electrician? Most people who do these courses are sold on false information that you will be earning in excess of £60k once qualified which a load of non sense. What sort of money sre you earning now if you dont mind?

Not wanting you put you off but its not completly paved with gold once you are qualified

Nice to see you iave read and taken on board advice given to you regarding these course. Why not get a job now as a mate while doing or before you start the course so you have a better understanding once you get in th class room?

What do you want from being a electrician? Most people who do these courses are sold on false information that you will be earning in excess of £60k once qualified which a load of non sense. What sort of money sre you earning now if you dont mind?

Not wanting you put you off but its not completly paved with gold once you are qualified

I'm looking to eventually do my own thing. I want to do security products and be able to also do domestic electrical work. basically just need to be able to offer as many services as I can. I am looking to get some work in the In the industry as soon as I can.

I am seriously thinking about jacking it in TBH, what is the point of me now working my --- off revising silly amount of hours each day and 2 and half years at college, restless nights before exams when I can go on one of these courses and be qualified on paper in a matter of weeks.

Sometimes I say to myself is it all really worth it.

I'm of an age where I can't go down the college route due to circumstances. doing a course in a few months isn't going to be a cake walk either, I'm looking to get it all on paper by working my --- off too while holding down a full time job with a family to raise also. people have a different path in thier lives and I can't afford to go to college full time. I don't see what wrong with getting the paperwork first and the experience afterwards.

I'm not a qualified electrician, but offer the following advice in the hope it is useful, and in case you don't get much encouragement from the other members...

I have checked the information below, but would encourage you to double-check everything!

If you want to work for yourself, your next steps should be:

1) Make sure that your course will be accepted by a Competent Persons Scheme (CPS) , unless you are prepared to pay for building control or a third-party (if you can find one) to inspect your notifiable work for the first two years of trading. Don't take the course provider's word for it; check with the schemes.

If the course is not accepted by any scheme, you can still do the course and it will provide valuable training, but on its own it will not allow you to notify work yourself, so you need to figure out how to complete enough notifiable work to be accepted by a CPS when you meet their other requirements.

2) Setup in business. Make sure you have the insurance you need, and systems in places to quote for work , invoice customers, calculate profit and loss (and retain records of certifications when you are able to join a CPS). You will need a range of tools (including those required for testing, as set out the document below, and for safe isolation), documents (also set out in the document below), transport + suitable insurance for transport (and tools if you want) and membership of your CPS, plus EIC, MWC and Testing forms.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ata/file/294483/3rd_Party_Cert_Scheme_MTC.pdf
3) Make sure you are clear what you don't know - study the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations and the OSG, and set money aside as soon as you start to complete a course on the wiring regs at the earliest opportunity. Once this is done, complete a Testing & Verification qualification; C&G 2392 as a minimum, but ideally 2391-50. Even as a Domestic Installer, you need to comply with the regulations, so you need to know what they are, and you need to be able to test and verify your work adequately. Basically, you need to put in place a professional development plan that recognises you are starting from a low base of knowledge. Your development plan should be created to ensure that you can join a CPS asap. Always be very careful about the scope of work you undertake to make sure that it is clearly within your capabilities. You (and your insurer) need to be able to defend your work and actions in court. Use the resources of the internet, this forum, and your CPS (if you are able to join one) to the greatest possible extent to check anything you are unsure of.

You will need a thick skin to be self-employed, and this will help with folks on the forum who have spent their time and money to learn the trade.

Best of luck

What course are you going to do may I ask?

EAL 600/7695/1 level 3- Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings
· 18th Edition Wiring Regulations (2382)
· Building Regulations (2393)

Fundamental Inspection & Testing (2392) level 2

2301-52 Combined Periodic & Initial Verification Inspection & Testing ( Level 3)

Have you looked into 2365 C&G?
I think what you are looking at is viable in terms of entering as a domistic installer technically. Have you worked out that you only want to work in domestic? Is that a package course from EAL?

What course are you going to do may I ask?

EAL 600/7695/1 level 3- Installing, Testing and Ensuring Compliance of Electrical Installations in Dwellings
· 18th Edition Wiring Regulations (2382)
· Building Regulations (2393)
Have you looked into 2365 C&G?
I think what you are looking at is viable in terms of entering as a domistic installer technically. Have you worked out that you only want to work in domestic? Is that a package course from EAL?

yeah only want to stick to domestic work I think. it's a package from a local training provider.eal seems to have a decent name.

Yeh I agree they do. There are five defined routes into being an electrician set by EAS. There is NO other way to becoming and electrician in any form or sense of the meaning. Morris Services - Getting Started - https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp this link describes them. So it sounds like at least you are not wasting your money. Many people will dislike this but C&G is often preferred to EAL qualifications. (Full metal jacket on) I was just concerned you might be one more on here who has spent money and will not be qualified to be an electrician. Information if very poor out there and misleading especially from training providers. It may be wise to check with a CPS body if they will accept the qualies you are contemplating before parting with your money.

I'm not a qualified electrician, but offer the following advice in the hope it is useful, and in case you don't get much encouragement from the other members...

I have checked the information below, but would encourage you to double-check everything!

If you want to work for yourself, your next steps should be:

1) Make sure that your course will be accepted by a Competent Persons Scheme (CPS) , unless you are prepared to pay for building control or a third-party (if you can find one) to inspect your notifiable work for the first two years of trading. Don't take the course provider's word for it; check with the schemes.

If the course is not accepted by any scheme, you can still do the course and it will provide valuable training, but on its own it will not allow you to notify work yourself, so you need to figure out how to complete enough notifiable work to be accepted by a CPS when you meet their other requirements.

2) Setup in business. Make sure you have the insurance you need, and systems in places to quote for work , invoice customers, calculate profit and loss (and retain records of certifications when you are able to join a CPS). You will need a range of tools (including those required for testing, as set out the document below, and for safe isolation), documents (also set out in the document below), transport + suitable insurance for transport (and tools if you want) and membership of your CPS, plus EIC, MWC and Testing forms.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ata/file/294483/3rd_Party_Cert_Scheme_MTC.pdf
3) Make sure you are clear what you don't know - study the 18th Edition of the Wiring Regulations and the OSG, and set money aside as soon as you start to complete a course on the wiring regs at the earliest opportunity. Once this is done, complete a Testing & Verification qualification; C&G 2392 as a minimum, but ideally 2391-50. Even as a Domestic Installer, you need to comply with the regulations, so you need to know what they are, and you need to be able to test and verify your work adequately. Basically, you need to put in place a professional development plan that recognises you are starting from a low base of knowledge. Your development plan should be created to ensure that you can join a CPS asap. Always be very careful about the scope of work you undertake to make sure that it is clearly within your capabilities. You (and your insurer) need to be able to defend your work and actions in court. Use the resources of the internet, this forum, and your CPS (if you are able to join one) to the greatest possible extent to check anything you are unsure of.

You will need a thick skin to be self-employed, and this will help with folks on the forum who have spent their time and money to learn the trade.

Best of luck

thanks for the info, appreciate it.

Yeh I agree they do. There are five defined routes into being an electrician set by EAS. There is NO other way to becoming and electrician in any form or sense of the meaning. Morris Services - Getting Started - https://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp this link describes them. So it sounds like at least you are not wasting your money. Many people will dislike this but C&G is often preferred to EAL qualifications. (Full metal jacket on) I was just concerned you might be one more on here who has spent money and will not be qualified to be an electrician. Information if very poor out there and misleading especially from training providers. It may be wise to check with a CPS body if they will accept the qualies you are contemplating before parting with your money.

cheers, thank you for the time to give me some advise. I have found there seem to be many routes into the industry and you do have to be careful of some training providers.

Reply to Newbie looking to get into an electrical career in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock